If upgrading from 1 Password 6 to 7 - delete the old app?

Options
Bothynights
Bothynights
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Families

Hi, I have a family membership and want to invite family.

Should they uninstall 1 password (version 6) apps on iphone, Ipad and Mac and re-install latest version? If they do though, how do they migrate their info into the new Family account? Do they migrate it using 1password.com, then uninstall the old app and reinstall the new apps? Cheers!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bothynights! Welcome to the forum!

Should they uninstall 1 password (version 6) apps on iphone, Ipad and Mac and re-install latest version? If they do though, how do they migrate their info into the new Family account? Do they migrate it using 1password.com, then uninstall the old app and reinstall the new apps?

You can do it either way: you can upgrade to 1Password 7 first, and the migrate data there, or you can also migrate the data inside 1Password 6, and then install 1Password 7.

This documentation page has instructions on how to move data to 1Password.com:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And this one has information on how to upgrade to 1Password 7:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

• Bothynights
    Bothynights
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for that. I have gotten as far as inviting the family member - they are now on my 1 Password Family account (I see them there). And I updgread the MacBook App to 1 Password 7 from 6. But I can't seem to get their data from the MacBook App to migrate to 1password.com family account. Thoughts? I think I'm close :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021
    Options

@Bothynights:

But I can't seem to get their data from the MacBook App to migrate to 1password.com family account. Thoughts? I think I'm close :)

You are indeed close :) Where are you getting stuck exactly? Have they already added their new Families account to the 1Password app?

• Bothynights
    Bothynights
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

They can login to 1password.com and see an account, but it does not have their old 1 password data in it from 1pasword 6 for macbook pro. I have downloaded 1 password7 app on their Macbook. Do I need to download the app again from within 1password.com?

Also, in the 1 password 7 on macbook pro it no longer lets him have the ability to edit an entry or add an entry (so I assume that is because it does not realize he is connected to a family account - if that helps)

I have also not added the 1password 7 app to their iphone (they still have 1 password 6 app) - shoudl I do that? It just feels like I am missing a way to import previous 1 password data. Thanks so much!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bothynights:

They can login to 1password.com and see an account, but it does not have their old 1 password data in it from 1pasword 6 for macbook pro. I have downloaded 1 password7 app on their Macbook. Do I need to download the app again from within 1password.com?

Downloading from the App Store or the website does not make a difference in this case. However, make sure that they logged into their account in the 1Password app, not on the 1Password.com website, as per the instructions in my previous post. You can move data between vaults only inside the 1Password app, it is not possible to do this from the website.

Also, in the 1 password 7 on macbook pro it no longer lets him have the ability to edit an entry or add an entry (so I assume that is because it does not realize he is connected to a family account - if that helps)

That's right, I think this is it: you need to activate the 1Password app by adding your 1Password account in it, so it knows you have an active account to enable the app and all of its features :+1:

I have also not added the 1password 7 app to their iphone (they still have 1 password 6 app) - shoudl I do that? It just feels like I am missing a way to import previous 1 password data. Thanks so much!

On the iPhone, the 1Password app should update automatically via the App Store, and should already be on version 7. If you open the 1Password app on that iPhone and tap on Settings, scroll down a little bit, what version number do you see there?

• Bothynights
    Bothynights
    Community Member
    Options

OK, SUCCESS (sort of :) The trick was adding his account within the 1 Password App and then I could copy the data.

My new challenge. If I add an entry in 1password.com or via MacBook OS App, it shows on his Iphone 7, which is Running Password 7. However, if he adds an entry in 1 password on his Iphone, it does not show on 1password.com or via 1Password App on his Mac. This makes no sense to me - it can't sync one way and not the other? Thougths?

• @Bothynights

We release 1Password 7.8 yesterday, which should address the syncing issue you're describing to the Mac. Please try updating. For clarification, the issue can be prevented by switching vaults on the Mac if the 7.8 update is not available for you yet.

• Bothynights
    Bothynights
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

• Bothynights
    Bothynights
    Community Member
    Options

MacBook App has been upgraded to 7.8, but Iphone App has no avail updated (last one available it is 7.7.1). What's interesting is I have not had those syncing issues (and me and my family member both have Macbook Pros, and Iphone Apps).

Not sure what you mean by Switching Vaults - can you explain? Cheers

• If you have multiple vaults change the selector from viewing one vault to another would help when experiencing syncing issues on versions prior to 7.8.

7.8 is the latest Mac app, and 7.7.1 is the latest iOS version, which should exhibit no problems.

This discussion has been closed.