MacOS Kernel Panic While Installing Beta-11 from Beta-9

Options
Saltaire2
Saltaire2
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Mac

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacOS 11.2.2

Running 1Password 7.7.1 Beta-9

After being prompted to install a newer version of 1Password, I often am told that I am running the most recent version (which is incorrect.) When I was able to download the current beta version (Beta-11) the installation failed by causing a kernel panic while the installer reported that it was unpacking the archive (or very similar language.) This eventually crashed the installation attempt

Currently, when I click on Check for Updates, I once again get the message that I am up-to-date. Therefore, I am unable to obtain the Beta-11 installer.

What to do?

1Password Version: 7.7.1 Beta-9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 11.2.2.
Sync Type: uncertain

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Saltaire2!

Currently, when I click on Check for Updates, I once again get the message that I am up-to-date. Therefore, I am unable to obtain the Beta-11 installer.

If you open 1Password in the menu bar, next to the Apple logo, and select About 1Password, what version number is shown there?

• Saltaire2
    Saltaire2
    Community Member
    Options

As a temporary fix, I downloaded ver. 7.7 and installed it over my beta-9 version. (On another machine, that permitted me to install beta-11.) Because I am now running ver. 7.7, I cannot provide the full build number information of the beta version that I overwrote. I can only say that it was beta-9.

It may be of interest that on another machine (an iMac), downloading and installing the distribution version (7.7) almost immediately caused it to ask if I wanted to update which then installed beta-11 successfully. The same was not true on this machine. Alas. So I am currently running the distribution version of 1Password which seems to be working well.

• Saltaire2
    Saltaire2
    Community Member
    Options

As a followup, I just received a notification from 1Password (ver. 7.7) that an update was available. I clicked on it and it opened a small window saying that I am up-to-date and running the latest version.

In short, it seems that 1Password knows that I should be getting beta versions (and tells me that an update is available) but when it checks whether I should be updated, it is satisfied with the current distribution version and does not enable me to download the latest beta.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Saltaire2:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Saltaire2
    Saltaire2
    Community Member
    Options

Success! (But not easy or even logical.)

I closed 1Password and almost everything else. I reinstalled distribution ver. 7.7 successfully. After a short time, it popped up a window saying that a newer version was available. I clicked to install beta 11 and it started normally but caused a kernel panic while extracting the archive. I let it run out and fail. Then, after a few minutes, I repeated the process as above. It seemed to fail identically although it took a bit longer to go from the spinning wheel (working) icon to the color beachball (kernel panic) icon. Again, I let it fail rather than stopping it. There was no indication of success.

I restarted 1Password and checked About 1Password. It reported that I was now running ver. 7.7.1 BETA-11 (70701011).

In short, I finally was able to install the current beta version of 1Password but I have no idea how I did it. Extracting the the archive during the beta installation process is not working properly but, eventually and without reporting a successful installation, it succeeded.

So it worked but clearly has issues. If I can be of any help, please feel free to contact me.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Saltaire2 ,
    Not sure what exactly went wrong there, but sounds like some files were written into the disk and some weren't, causing you to get stuck in update purgatory :angry:

I'd suggest booting into safe mode and performing the update there, but you seem to have managed, which is great! Well done.
    Do let us know if you encounter this issues again in the future. We'll keep an eye out for similar reports if there are any.

This discussion has been closed.