I don't know what happened, but 1P not working out on my M1 Mini

Options
Hero Jig
Hero Jig
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, i don't know what happened, but after upgrading to a new M1 Mini, 1P stopped auto-suggesting website passwords in Safari. Also, trying to create a support ticket is impossible, as it just loops u around and around, never letting u in. 1P support site even led me down a path where I had to change my password, just to get help on displaying passwords. That's insane.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 11.2.2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hero Jig!

Hi, i don't know what happened, but after upgrading to a new M1 Mini, 1P stopped auto-suggesting website passwords in Safari.

Is the 1Password browser extension enabled in Safari Preferences > Extensions tab? It should look similar to this:

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

thx ana, and yes it is. In safari, looks like this as well:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hero Jig:

Thank you for the confirmation! Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same behavior now?

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, just did that. All I ever see on websites with passwords is this:

Im getting old and demented, but I remember seeing 1P prompts before, right? I don't want to use keychain, unless i have to. That's why I pay you guys :)

Jigs

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hero Jig:

Thank you for the screenshot! Indeed, I see that you have the Safari password manager enabled in the browser. This can cause interference with 1Password, since they both try to do the same job, so our recommendation is to disable the browser's password manager:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

If you do this, 1Password should show you its own prompt there instead :)

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

ha, now i get no help :)

did u guys test on Apple silicon?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hero Jig:

We did, although this is unrelated to filling. Can you share the full URL where this is happening, so we can test this website too?

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, but seems to work that way for ALL websites here... no 1password popup or whatever used to be...

https://www.speedtest.net/

• @Hero Jig

Do you have our inline menu enabled in 1Password - Preferences > Browsers?

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Ha, u nailed it tommy, somehow that is /** was all unchecked**. Is that the default? I think perhaps a Big Slur release must have changed it, or it's the default. If it's the default, might I suggest u change it the other way? Also, what's Privacy.com integration. U mean I need even more security now? Good lord.

But all is well, re the 1p front - thx for your freakin EXCELLENT support!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hero Jig:

If I am not mistaken, the default is for that menu to be enabled :+1: And thank you for the update, I am glad to hear that everything is working as expected again :)

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    Options

Thats what I remember too. but somewhere between my new M1 Mini and old machine, or maybe Big Slur update 11.2.2., the checkboxes flipped...dunno, wasn't me, id never do that. But thx for your great support!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @Hero Jig! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. But here is a suggestion and user experience. When this happens to real user on a new machine, that means when the user goes on about their business, not knowing keychain is now on the task, and not 1P, all new pws entered into keychain will need to be re-entered into 1P by opening up keychain and copy/pasting. That is/was really annoying... unless u all have figured out an import feature, that sucks all the keychain entries and turns them into 1P ones...

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. But here is a suggestion and user experience. When this happens to real user on a new machine, that means when the user goes on about their business, not knowing keychain is now on the task, and not 1P, all new pws entered into keychain will need to be re-entered into 1P by opening up keychain and copy/pasting. That is/was really annoying... unless u all have figured out an import feature, that sucks all the keychain entries and turns them into 1P one

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hero Jig:

You can try the Keychain importer option in this script, in case you have added a lot of items to Keychain, and you don't want to add them all manually to 1Password.

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. But here is a suggestion and user experience. When this happens to real user on a new machine, that means when the user goes on about their business, not knowing keychain is now on the task, and not 1P, all new pws entered into keychain will need to be re-entered into 1P by opening up keychain and copy/pasting. That is/was really annoying... unless u all have figured out an import feature, that sucks all the keychain entries and turns them into 1P one

THAT SCRIPT SOUNDS GRAND< THX

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

THAT SCRIPT SOUNDS GRAND< THX

You are very welcome :)

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Please reopen this case, as there is still a serious issue with the M1/big sur, as after I use the pw saved in keychain when 1P was not available because of the default switcheroo as detailed above, I get this on some sites:

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/17unrllmx4047p5/2021-03-09_07-49-18.png?dl=0
    2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wic93rocx5tik6m/2021-03-09_07-53-16.png?dl=0

I think if I choose create new instead of update, this does not happen of course, but hell, thats a lot of clicks and typing for data already there if I were to do that to all the pws that 1p has not recorded yet. Then I would have to go clean up the old ones, which is near impossible in ur product (well, for me anyway).

Also, I dont want to try a script right now, as I feel that would just complicate matters and it may blow the whole system, who knows at this point...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hero Jig:

I looked at your screenshots, but I am not sure I understand what I am supposed to look at. What are you actually expecting to appear there exactly?

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

yes, so on some websites (all financial), when prompted to update with new password, instead of create new 1P entry, 1P would fill the field with xxxs instead of the actual new password. This was really irritating, as i would not notice the xxxxxxxxxs password when trying to entire the site again later, and im thinking i just did by manually entering the PW. but hell, this is not easily reproduced, and is only happening on financial sites and once I manually edit the entry, all is well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hero Jig:

but hell, this is not easily reproduced, and is only happening on financial sites and once I manually edit the entry, all is well.

We can try to reproduce this too. Can you share these URLs publicly? Otherwise, you can also email them to us at support+forum@agilebits.com if you prefer to continue the conversation in private :+1:

• Hero Jig
    Hero Jig
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

1p is hopelessly broken here. Now i get messages that 1p needs to be in the application folder or the browser function won't work. Yet 1P is sitting in the app folder, as expected. That's in big slur on the M1. In catalina, on an older intel mac, 1P finds duplicates of the app and complains all the time, asking me to delete one or the other, yet there is always just one. This is a mess.

Im thinking of just turning this all off, and going back to looking up things in keychain access... less headaches, more clicks

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Hero Jig ,

1Password does work on M1 Macs 100%, no doubt about it. The issues you are experiencing are unrelated to your OS and Mac's specs.
    If 1Password tells you that it must be run from the Applications folder, that means there's another instance of 1Password running from somewhere else (perhaps a duplicate on an external backup drive?)

Send us a diagnostics report and we'll gladly help you out with this.

You can send it to support+extensions@1password.com with a short description and a link to this discussion. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.