To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Family vs. Household: What is allowed?

Options
hnnnng
hnnnng
Community Member

Hi,

I unfortunately find somewhat contradictory information to what extent the family license is limited to one household or one family.

Since the current password management of my parents is disastrous, I would like to convert my individual license into a family license. However, I no longer live at home and would not want an account to be suspended due to any license violations.

So do the members have to live in the same house and so usually work from one IP?

Thanks,
Henning

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hnnnng!

It's one family, no matter if you still live with your parents or not :)

• hnnnng
    hnnnng
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect, thanks @ag_ana for the quick response!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @hnnnng, I am glad I could help :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Kweins
    Kweins
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure about overlap of others on one vs family accounts. Could anyone other than myself be allowed visibility access on an individual account? They would not necessarily need autoconnect to the sites - only awareness of the password(s) if needed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kweins:

Not in an Individual account, for anything that requires multiple users, it is better to use a Families account. The only way for another person to access an Individual account is if you shared with them all your login information (email address, Secret Key and Master Password).

• Kweins
    Kweins
    Community Member
    Options

I suppose the better question is (and I think you already answered it) ... do I need a family account for my spouse and I which at the same time would allow our son to know or be able to see our PWDs if an emergency were to arise? He would not be “using” the site - only as a back up to a double case of trouble.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kweins:

You could also share your Emergency Kit with your son for the emergency access. However, since there would be at least two active users in the Families account other than your son, the Families account is the only one who would allow you to use 1Password independently, while still sharing data with each other as necessary.

This discussion has been closed.