import to 1password without upload to the site

vitovito
vitovito
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Lounge

Hello,
Is it possible to import data from another pwd manager (keepass) without uploading unencrypted csv file to 1password site?
Can import to new vault be done locally?

It looks wrong when i expect my decryption keys to be stored locally, but before that i have to send all unencrypted data to 1password server.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@vitovito I understand that the Mac app allows CSV import, but I cannot see the function on my Windows app. However, whether you're using an app or a browser the security model is the same. Each authorised app/browser holds a copy of your password database and this database is encrypted before sync'ing with the server. So your imported passwords are imported into the local copy of the database, encrypted and then uploaded to 1Password's servers. To do otherwise would completely bypass 1Password's security.

• vitovito
    vitovito
    Community Member

Thanks @missingbits.
    From the help (https://support.1password.com/import-1password-com/#step-1-upload-your-csv-file), I have the impression all the magic happens on the server.
    "Step 1: Upload your CSV file".
    Could someone from 1P clarify it, please?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@vitovito ,

Try using the keypass2 converter (if you are using Keepass 2) from the converter suite . You'll want to export as XML. Follow the directions in the post and the README.

Ask if you need help.

• vitovito
    vitovito
    Community Member

@MrC m thanks i will do it, i use keepass2.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@vitovito:

"Step 1: Upload your CSV file".
    Could someone from 1P clarify it, please?

I am not in the security team of 1Password, but my understanding is that data is encrypted on your device before it's uploaded.

This discussion has been closed.