1password app not letting me login but can login into my.1password.com

Options
frankeric
frankeric
Community Member

I assume preferences are in the app not the web. I cannot log into the app. Hours! help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @frankeric

I most often see this occur when someone has moved to one of our membership offerings, and they have inadvertently left a Primary vault on their device. The Primary vault can open with a different Master Password. Can you unlock if you can unlock with a previous Master Password you may have used? Are you using a membership?

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists, then it will unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in.

2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account.

3. If multiple memberships are signed in, then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership.

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

• frankeric
    frankeric
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a newbe so tx for replying! I have a single pw membership. where is my primary vault? don't understand some of this. where is 1pw preferences?

• No worries. That's why we are here to guide you.

Can you unlock the Mac with a previous Master Password? If so, look in the Mac app for a Primary vault. It will be on the left-hand side.

Next, make sure you can log in to 1Password.com and that all of your data is present and download a copy of your Emergency Kit if you have not done so. You will need it to sign into the apps in the future. It's a good idea to save it no with other important papers.

• frankeric
    frankeric
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Well I now know what the issue is. I have an old PW vault. I found my old password to open it up. Now how do I get rid of this old version?

• @frankeric

1. Check to make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

2. If needed copy or move any items from your Primary vault to your membership vault (Personal/Private) that are not already present. * Please be sure you have the most up to date information in your Personal vault.

3. Remove the Primary vault.

• frankeric
    frankeric
    Community Member
    Options

Good day. Here is where I'm at. On my mac I uninstalled all the new 1PW app & in finder. Then from the app store installed the 1PW app.
    There is an old PW, 5 years maybe, that wants my old password, which I found!!! I don't want this old stuff. Can I delete the old & start anew? tx

• @fankeric

You can trash the old version of the Application. Do not use an app cleaner. It's best to drag the old version to the trash from the Applications folder.

• frankeric
    frankeric
    Community Member
    Options

PW & 1PW are trashed! When I reload the app it still asks for the old password & has the old sites in the vault!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frankeric:

Thank you for the update. When you open the 1Password app, can you tell us the name of the vault that has the old sites?

• frankeric
    frankeric
    Community Member
    Options

Primary

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation @frankeric! In this case, please follow the instructions posted by my colleague Tommy above: if you have moved all your data outside of the Primary vault already, his post also has instructions on how to remove this vault now :+1:

• frankeric
    frankeric
    Community Member
    Options

Q am i in the app or online with password? Online is my new account, the app is the old info. When I try to delete the vault it's shaded out in the Vault tab!

• frankeric
    frankeric
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

here is the old app screen shot

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frankeric:

I have removed your screenshot for your privacy, since it included your private email address :+1: Is the Primary vault perhaps the only vault that you currently have in the app? In that case, you can reset the app instead:

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

Afterwards, you can login with the credentials that you used to login to 1Password.com, and only your new Personal vault will show up in the app then.

• frankeric
    frankeric
    Community Member
    Options

That did it! A big thank you!!!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @frankeric! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.