1Password suddenly doesn't recognize my license

billtheitgeek
billtheitgeek
Community Member

I sat down at my Macbook today and noticed I've started getting licensing prompts from 1Password 7. I can't update my passwords and I don't even see a place to enter a license (it used to show up under one of the top menus). The only option I see is to sign into the site. I don't want to sign into a 1Password account - I want a standalone license with a local vault, just like I've used for many years.

What has happened here? Why has it just now decided I don't have a license? I have one and I entered it when I installed it. Now it's gone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @billtheitgeek

It sounds like you may have installed the Mac App Store copy of 1Password. You'll need to switch to the website version for the license to be valid.

You can find your installed version by completing the first few steps in this help topic. How to keep 1Password up to date

How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

• billtheitgeek
    billtheitgeek
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_tommy ... I deinstalled the version I had, downloaded/installed the web site version and it picked up my license and I'm back to normal. Appreciate your help!

• You're most welcome. Have a great day!

• btk
    btk
    Community Member

Mine did this too...didn't notice the update notice was from the mac app store (apparently). But before I do your fix for this, I do not have a membership. I bought a stand alone version/package and sync it to my vault to my local NAS, and with WLAN. Will I still be able to reinstall the 1password.com "version" following your instructions above, and will it pickup my license? Many thanks...

• @btk

Yes, you'll be fine. All you're doing is changing out the installed version of the application from the two stores. Nothing is reset or changed in your setup preferences. It's really like updating your installed version as the process is identical to that. It should indeed pick up your license. If in doubt, make a backup to be safe. Better safe than sorry. ;)

How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

• btk
    btk
    Community Member

You guys rock! Everything appears fine now following your instructions. Thanks @ag_tommy. Any pointers on how to not fall into the trap again of clicking on app store upgrade? I went to store for safari extension when it didn't show up in safari after upgrading to macOS 11.2.3 (it--extension--had been there before OS update) . Maybe that is helpful to you guys....to know. My upgrade to 7.8 was not through the app store...so it must have been my getting extension from app store that did it? Does that make sense? Anyway, thanks again.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021

@btk

I have one that served me well for years. I can't guarantee it will work. I found it years ago on an Apple support forum. Hide the purchase on the Mac App Store for the Mac app: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322

• Do not do this for the mobile apps.

Additionally, the 1Password extension is included as part of the Mac app. Do not click on more extensions within Safari or you may inadvertently install the Mac App Store version.

This discussion has been closed.