Update will not load on MacBook Air M1-Catalina

Options
MERVIEW
MERVIEW
Community Member

I just received notice of an update available. It will not load on my MacBook Air M1-Big Sur-11.2.2. It keeps saying "try again later."
No other issues. I have run the 1Password Troubleshooting app to reset permissions & repair attributes.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Update will not load

Comments

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same issue trying to update to 7.8.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MERVIEW, @wavesound:

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? If you check for updates now (1Password Preferences > Updates tab), are you able to complete the update?

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana there is no Updates tab available. Could that be because I am running the App Store version of 1Password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wavesound:

Yes, that would be it: if you are running the App Store version, then updates are not managed by the 1Password app, but by Apple directly. It is possible this might be something temporary coming from their end (although trying a reboot won't hurt I think).

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

I rebooted my system and I quit 1Password from the 1Password menu in 1Password and I am now getting a "Unable to Close '1Password' The update for '1Password' couldn't be completed. Try again later." from the App Store.

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

@ag_ana I just realized that I never actually installed the Mac App Store version initially, It looks like the App store may have "adopted" my 1Password installation? It does now say "Mac App Store" in the 1Password About menu.

• crxb
    crxb
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue with the update from the Mac app store. Until I right clicked and closed the 1Password mini in the menu bar. Then it updated just fine

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wavesound:

Do you perhaps have multiple copies of 1Password in your Applications folder? I have seen this in some cases where customers installed both, I wonder if this could be the case here too?

• mulva
    mulva
    Community Member
    Options

Seeing the same issue. MacBook Air (M1, 2020), macOS Big Sur v 11.2.3

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also with the Mac App Store version @mulva?

• mulva
    mulva
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

I don't remember it being the way I downloaded and "purchased." The reason why was I was billed directly from 1password.

What should I do to try to fix or check my version?... download app from website?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mulva:

You can check your version by launching your 1Password app, selecting 1Password from the menu bar (next to the Apple logo) > About 1Password. It will tell you where the version you have installed was downloaded from.

• mulva
    mulva
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

OK! So I was able to update. I think the issue is with the 1Password Extension Helper (I unselected it before trying to update). It might be that because my browser extension was still enabled when I shut down 1Password and it rebooted. (I don't even know what or where the mini is.) Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I just realized the mini is the icon in the browser bar where you were saying to "Quit 1Password Completely." I was right-clicking on the icon which didn't show that. I had to left-click on the browser menu icon, then click on the settings icon top right to get the menu with that option. When I was able to update, I had deselected Extension Helper then closed the app from the main menu on the Mac (bottom) before trying to update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @mulva!

EDIT: I just realized the mini is the icon in the browser bar where you were saying to "Quit 1Password Completely."

In case someone else happens to read this discussion: the icon you are referring to is the browser extension icon. I was referring to 1Password mini instead, which is the one that runs in your Mac menu bar, at the top right of your screen. Here is a screenshot:

If you right-click on that one, you will see the menu I was referring to :+1:

• MERVIEW
    MERVIEW
    Community Member
    Options

My icon is on the left in the menu bar. I have quit 1Password and quit Malwarebytes and still cannot get the update to load.

• Old_Jeremiah
    Old_Jeremiah
    Community Member
    Options

It's on a MacBook Air, running BigSur 11.2.3. Loading from the App Store.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:I'm trying to install version 7.8, but I keep getting the message "UNABLE TO CLOSE "1PASSWORD 7"

• kebel87
    kebel87
    Community Member
    Options

Yup, you're not alone!

• @Old_Jeremiah @kebel87

Make sure to quit Safari and look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Update from the Mac App Store.

The update should proceed. If that fails to get the update going, let's give replacing the app a go.

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana That worked. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @wavesound :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MERVIEW:

Can you post a screenshot of the icon you are referring to? Thank you!

• MERVIEW
    MERVIEW
    Community Member
    Options

This is the top of my browser:

When I click the update. I get this:

Then I get this:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MERVIEW:

Can you try quitting 1Password from the top of your screen instead, as per my previous screenshot? You need to close the entire app to complete the update, so clicking on just the browser extension won't be enough.

• yohst
    yohst
    Community Member
    Options

At some point 1Password upgrades stopped working for me the "normal way". I understand 1P can't be running to finish the install hence it shows a message to quit the running program. But I am unable to do so. I.e., quiting it CMD-Q or menu never actually quits the program. I have to go to Activity Monitor, locate the 1P executables (there are 3) and Force Quit all those, then finally the upgrade finishes.

Intended behavior? Why not have the installer quit the running 1P for me?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8 (70800001) Mac App Store
    OS Version: 11.2.3
    Sync Type: iCloud

• @yohst

Command Q will not completely quit 1Password only the main app. Instead you'll need to use Command + Option + Control + Q which quits the app and our helper in the menu bar. Also you'll want to make sure you quit Safari before trying an update.

• yohst
    yohst
    Community Member
    Options

k, I hope to remember that next time. But why not make it easier and have the installer do this? Or if that's not possible - at least state the command in the little dialog that comes up that says to quit 1P?

• Gilles_Sergerie
    Gilles_Sergerie
    Community Member
    Options

Howdy,

I am getting the exact same thing. I have been a 1Password user for at least 10 years and never had an update issue......

• @Gilles_Sergerie

Please try these abbreviated steps. If they do not provide relief, there is a longer set I can provide.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.

Try the update again.

• Gilles_Sergerie
    Gilles_Sergerie
    Community Member
    Options

Good day Jeremiah,
    I had the same issue and just did all the steps in your last post and I am now running version 7.8

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear, thank you for the update :+1:

This discussion has been closed.