What the hell happened with the Chrome extension on the Mac?

rickmb
rickmb
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I just updated 1Password, which in turn forced me to re-install the Chrome extension. An extension that is now so dramatically different it completely breaks the workflow I've had for years.

1. The shortcut [command] [] now opens 1Password Mini instead of the extension. Utterly useless, since it doesn't get the browser context. And if you search manually, it just launches a new browser tab, which is equally useless.
  2. I now have the same inline crap I ditched Lastpass for years ago. Inline crap that doesn't have a fraction of the functionality the old extension used to have.

1Password has now lost half of its usefulness to me, being reduced to a dumb password store. Every login now takes me twice as much effort instead of what for years has been a simple shortcut.

The sheer arrogance of this fundamental functionality change really pisses me off. It's a breach of trust, which is the last thing I want from a company that stores my f-ing passwords.

Is there any way to restore the old functionality?

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: OSX 11.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rickmb
    rickmb
    Community Member

Jesus H Christ, it gets even worse. This dumb thing also completely overrides normal browser behaviour when filling in forms.

I've been a uses for a long time, I've introduced 1Password in several companies. I now regret that.

This is unacceptable. Even if there is a way to revert this, I cannot trust 1Password anymore.

• rickmb
    rickmb
    Community Member

And the hits just keep on coming: I can turn of 1Password messing with autofill for addresses (nothing to do with passwords, why it's a separate setting in Chrome), but the extension then turns itself off completely.

I can either use 1Password for all autofills, or not use 1Password in Chrome at all.

This is beyond arrogant, this is malicious.

• rickmb
    rickmb
    Community Member

So 1Password's twitter account informs me I can get the old functionality back by installing '1password classic'. An oblique reference to that is indeed hidden on the extension page.

Unbelievable that a company that you're supposed to trust with your passwords uses dark UX patterns.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rickmb! Welcome to the forum!

Indeed, it looks like the extension you are looking for is the classic extension, which you can download from here:

Get the 1Password classic extension

This discussion has been closed.