Firefox Extension No Longer Works After 7.8 (MacStore) Upgrade

Options
SteelCityBill
SteelCityBill
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I just upgraded to 1P 7.8 from the Mac App Store. Like others, my version did not upgrade successfully on it's own. The App Store showed v7.8 as installed (it said "Open" instead of "Upgrade"), but the app itself stated it was still 7.7. Before I knew any of this, I opened Firefox and received a message that 1P could not authenticate my browser and something about signed apps. The extension did not work and was grayed out. I figured something was up and looked at the App Store and saw the new version. I realized mine had not upgraded properly. I followed the steps in the other thread (completely close 1P, close all browsers, drag 1P application to trash, reboot). After rebooting, I installed the app from the App Store. All seems to be well except my 1P extension in Firefox does nothing. I have removed the extension and reinstalled, but still nothing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8 (70800001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: MacOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SteelCityBill
    SteelCityBill
    Community Member
    Options

Just to be clear, the 1P extension does appear in Firefox and is not grayed out after I upgraded the app and removed/reinstalled the extension. Clicking on it does nothing. I get no error or 1P window. Nothing happens at all if I click on the icon although it looks normal in the browser.

• SteelCityBill
    SteelCityBill
    Community Member
    Options

Another update. I got the extension working in Firefox. I have always set Firefox to "Always user Private Browsing" in the Privacy and Security settings. Firefox just updated to version 86.0.1. Not sure if that is important, but that's the current version. Apparently something with the latest 1P extension no longer likes that setting. As soon as I disabled that (which forces you to restart Firefox), the extension works again. It no longer has fingerprint unlocking though. I must now type my master password to unlock 1P. That's not nearly as convenient as the touch ID, but at least it works. Hopefully the Touch ID unlock for the browser extension returns soon.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SteelCityBill:

Can you please download the classic extension and see if that is the one you were using before?

Get the 1Password classic extension

From what you wrote, it sounds like you downloaded the newest 1Password in the browser extension now.

• SteelCityBill
    SteelCityBill
    Community Member
    Options

I have it sorted now. Thanks for the reply. I was using the classic (4.7 - Desktop Required) version. I've removed that and installed the new extension and everything works fine. The new extension has much better integration with both Firefox and Chrome. The only thing I miss is the Touch ID support. I have to type my password to unlock. I looked to see if Touch ID could be enabled via a setting, but it doesn't appear as if that's possible at this time. Can you confirm that there is no Touch ID in the latest extensions? Other than that, I'm good to go. Thanks ag_ana.

• @SteelCityBill

Correct, there is no Touch ID support at this time. I was removed several months ago for a code refresh, and it has not made it back yet. I hope to see it soon. As you can imagine, we are all avid users of the feature.

• SteelCityBill
    SteelCityBill
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for confirming Tommy! Now that I'm using the correct extension, everything is working fine and is much better integrated than the old extension. (This was confusing. I wasn't aware that there was a new extension and a "classic" extension. I assumed that when the app gets updated, the extensions do as well.) I'll know for the future.

• :+1:

• Camellochapin
    Camellochapin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana , I thought there was really bad on my end... but your workaround helped me and now I can make my family work on Firefox and drive them away from Google Chrome. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @Camellochapin! I am happy I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.