I'm an old lady who just signed up for 1Password and am trying to figure it all out (oh boy).

Options
GrammaUbi
GrammaUbi
Community Member

Several of my passwords have been flagged by Apple because they are either repeats or too simple (all of these are to sites that have no bank, cc info, or personal info so I wasn't too worried. Wrong :) ) Can 1Password change those passwords when I go to the sites or do I need to go through the Change Password process and do it manually? Also, when I go into Passwords in Safari Preferences, can I just cut and paste those into my 1Password app. Last one, am I right that in order for 1Password to get my passwords at sites that are now auto sign-in, I have to log out of the site and go back in?
Many thanks! This 77 year old is very appreciative of your help!

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:how to let 1password change a password on a site

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GrammaUbi! Welcome to the forum!

Can 1Password change those passwords when I go to the sites or do I need to go through the Change Password process and do it manually?

You need to start the change password process on the website, but 1Password can then help you generate new passwords for you:

Change your passwords to make them stronger

Also, when I go into Passwords in Safari Preferences, can I just cut and paste those into my 1Password app.

Yes, you can copy and paste from there to 1Password :)

Last one, am I right that in order for 1Password to get my passwords at sites that are now auto sign-in, I have to log out of the site and go back in?

Can you please clarify what you mean by "sites that are not auto sign-in"? Thank you!

• DavePio
    DavePio
    Community Member
    Options

Can someone tell me what this means?

• @DavePio

That is the 1Password in the browser prompt to unlock 1Password. Press Shift+Command+X to unlock and access your passwords.

• DavePio
    DavePio
    Community Member
    Options

OK thank you. I watched two tutorials and neither addressed this. Now when I try to login, 1password no longer offers this option.

• @DavePio

it should, try restarting your browser, if it's convenient. I can't say I have seen that behavior before. You can also click the button in the browser toolbar to fill details if that helps.

• GrammaUbi
    GrammaUbi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

The sites that have "saved" my info so the actual User Name/Password fields don't even come up. I'm figuring that those fields have to show in order for 1Password to pick them up so that I have to sign out and sign back in.

Thank you so much for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GrammaUbi:

I'm figuring that those fields have to show in order for 1Password to pick them up so that I have to sign out and sign back in.

Thank you for the clarification! You are correct: if you are already logged into a website, there is nothing for 1Password to do at that point, until you log out again. Once the login form shows again, 1Password will be able to fill your credentials for you there :+1:

• GrammaUbi
    GrammaUbi
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @GrammaUbi! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.