Use Windows App and/or browser extension on Windows

Options

I'm new to 1Password. So far, I am only using the browser extension and not the Windows desktop app. Can the two co-exist? If not, what are the benefits of using one over the other? I see posts about incompatibilities, the classic extension, an X version, and I'm left confused about the best approach.

Related to this, I've seen a reply from 1Password staff to another question regarding where automatic backups on Windows are stored. When I look there, I don't have the folder leading me to believe that I need the desktop program. Also, the description on how to export my information doesn't work with the browser extension for me.

Any clarity would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mpfc75 , Welcome to 1Password! :chuffed:

I am only using the browser extension and not the Windows desktop app. Can the two co-exist?

Yes, they can co-exist. 1Password in the browser is there to help you save new logins, generate new passwords and autofill your existing logins when you visit a website.
    The desktop app allows you to easily manage your vaults, move items from one place to the other, easily edit items, mass move/delete etc. It is more comfortable to manage your 1Password vaults and items in the desktop app (for me at least). Granted, I don't use the desktop app as often as the extension in the browser, but it is really nice to have when you need to quickly edit something or move stuff from one place to the other.

You can definitely keep working with 1Password in the browser alone, without the desktop app. It's a matter of personal preference at this point.
    In the future, we plan to integrate the desktop app with 1Password in the browser, which will allow you to unlock both simultaneously, use Windows Hello to unlock it and more, so you will have quite an advantage by using both, but until then the choice is yours.

I see posts about incompatibilities, the classic extension, an X version, and I'm left confused about the best approach

1Password Classic is a different (older) extension that must have the desktop app installed in order to function. It does not show up inside usernames/password fields on its own but it does allow to easily unlock your 1Password using Windows Hello. We recommend using 1Password in the browser though (formerly known as 1Password X).

Related to this, I've seen a reply from 1Password staff to another question regarding where automatic backups on Windows are stored. When I look there, I don't have the folder leading me to believe that I need the desktop program

Every 1Password app/extension keeps a locally cached copy of your 1Password database, so you can access it even if you're offline. 1Password in the browser keeps a locally cached copy inside the browser's local storage (encrypted, obviously), and the desktop app keeps it in the location you've seen in the other discussion. It is not the main reason why you'd want to consider having the desktop app though. Your data is safely stored and backed up both in our servers and in any device/app/extension you use.

Also, the description on how to export my information doesn't work with the browser extension for me.

Exporting items only works with the desktop app, so that's definitely a great reason to have it installed :)

This discussion has been closed.