Can't save/filledit full forms anymore

Options
ConsummatePro
ConsummatePro
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Old versions of 1Password used to allow you to save a bunch of form fields, but the newer versions don't seem to. The new web browser plugin (Chrome, Mac) doesn't seem to offer any "Save Form" function or "Save Login" either.

Example: I have an old Saved form entry for a Government of Canada Payroll and it does fill in some of the fields, but with a recent change on their site I can't get all the fields filled anymore. I have to use the desktop 1P app to go to the "View Saved Form Details" button (not available on the browser plugin) but I really can't figure out what the new fields are supposed to be.

Take a look at this page: CRA Payroll source deductions - regular remittance
https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/fppp/mypymnt/pub/ntr.action?request_locale=en_CA
-- choose Payroll source deductions -- then **Regular remittance ** (the website doesn't seem to allow linking directly to that page)

Specifically, I can't get 1P to fill in the Account number, which was previously saved as "taxpayerId" and was working, but now isn't - I can still see the saved field in Chrome is "taxpayerId". Again this was saved in an older version of 1P that seemed to better capture forms.

I was able to use Chrome inspect and figure out the 4 digit field is "taxPayer4Digits" so added that manually to 1P and it works.

All this seems like much more advanced work than we really should need to do as end users. I recall much older versions of 1P handled this automatically.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: OSX 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ConsummatePro ,
    Thanks for bringing this up.

1Password indeed had some major changes to its autofilling mechanism in the recent years, and now uses more machine learning than what I would call "dumb autofilling", which is simply collecting all the fields on a page and store them regardless of whether or not they should be autofillied.

In this specific use case of generic forms that are not logins/registrations/credit cards, the so-called dumb autofilling might be doing a better job, but everywhere else our smarter autofilling takes the cake easily.

We do have an open report about adding support to generic forms but it requires solving a lot of issues, mostly security oriented, on how we determine what is a relevant field to store in 1Password and what is a non-essential / risky field to save. I'll add your message here to the log as a supporter of this feature.

For now, the best way to accomplish what you're trying to do is indeed by adding these fields as custom fields in your login item. 1Password in the browser uses custom fields instead of the "Saved form details" that you find in the Mac app, so try adding the "taxpayerId" and "taxPayer4Digits" as custom fields there. Make sure to choose the right type of field for them, since "taxPayerId" sounds like it might be a digit only field, in which case you may want to set it as a telephone field instead of a text field.

I tried accessing the link you provided but I get a message that the website is under maintenance. I'll give it another go later on if I can.

ref: dev/core/core#2137

This discussion has been closed.