1P extension overriding Chrome autofill of addresses

Options
LearningToFly
LearningToFly
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Windows 10 Home
1P extension v1.23.1 (?)
Chrome Version 89.0.4389.82 (Official Build) (64-bit)

After installing the latest 1P Chrome extension, I noticed Chrome is no longer offering to autofill addresses. The Chrome setting says "1Password – Password Manager is controlling this setting". If I disable it, the Chrome autofill of addresses then works, but of course, the 1P autofill of passwords does not.
Is there a way to get both? Chrome autofill of addresses and 1P autofill of passwords, credit cards, etc.
(If there is a way to save addresses in 1P, I can't find it.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LearningToFly!

Yes, you can turn off this entry in the 1Password extension settings:

You can then also enable Chrome autofill for addresses if you prefer :+1:

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @ag_ana !! That does exactly what I want.
    Although I will say that I looked at the settings and I never would have guessed that. It seems backwards to me. Would have thought turning that off would turn off the 1P password autofill.

Oh well, it's working so I'm happy! Thanks again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @LearningToFly ,

We're glad to hear that worked for you, but I just want to mention that 1Password can (and should) be used for autofilling addresses and personal information. It's called an Identity in 1Password:

1. Open your 1Password.
    2. Click the PLUS button and select "Identity" from the list.
    3. Fill the new identity item with all of your information (name, address, phone, email etc) and save it.
    4. Now you can use that identity item to fill in your details on sign-up forms, shipping forms and anywhere else that asks for your information.

You can test it here if you'd like: https://fill.dev/form/identity-simple
    Click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser to open it, select the identity item and click on "Autofill". :)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron, VERY cool link for testing out autofills! Thanks for posting it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem :chuffed:

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

@ag_yaron In my initial post I said "If there is a way to save addresses in 1P, I can't find it.".
    I actually tried using Identity. I set one up for myself called, strangely enough, "Me", and I populated all the name, address, phone, email, etc. but I couldn't get it to work.
    I just turned back on the option "Make 1P the default password manager", tried the test form and I still can't get it to work. When I click on the extension, it brings up my Credit Card items.
    Any idea what I'm doing wrong or any information do you need to help me get this working?

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I just used the search bar in the extension to search for "Me", found the Identity and it autofilled for me. (Autofilled for "Me", get it? Sorry, bad joke.)
    Is there a way to get the 1P extension to "suggest" Identities like it does for other items like Passwords and Credit Card numbers?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @LearningToFly ,

1Password will suggest your identity items only in email fields. We used to have 1Password suggest identities in almost any field, but that made 1Password extremely intrusive and borderline annoying to have, as it popped up everywhere.

We have plans on improving that in the future though, we just need to balance things a bit more in 1Password's "Brain", which decides where and where not to show up in. :+1:

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update @ag_yaron
    I found a web page that needed Name / Address info in addition to email address. I wanted to see if the Identity suggestion in the email address would also fill all the other Name / Address fields and it did. Super!

Quick suggestion. If you put an email input field on the Autofill Test Page 'Identity' form, that would allow the "suggest" test to be done there.

• Thanks for the idea, @LearningToFly. There are a lot of various forms on that site, and we do have one available with an email field:

https://fill.dev/form/registration-email

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc Yup. Saw that one. I was just thinking that if email address was on the Identity form, then it could be used to test both:
    1. The email field suggests the Identity item;
    2. Once the Identity item is selected, all the Name / Address Identity fields populate correctly.

No big deal. Once again, I'm just happy to keep learning about new features of 1P that I can take advantage of!
    Thanks again to all for helping.

• I'll pass along the feedback. :smile: On behalf of the whole team, you're very welcome. We're always happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.