Safari extension not working. Menu icon and context icon ("Unlock Password") unresponsive. v. 7.7

Options
raleedy
raleedy
Community Member

Unable to re-install Safari extension. Unable to use 1Password in Safari except to copy and paste from App.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: 11.2.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension not working. Menu icon and context icon ("Unlock Password") unresponsive. v. 7.7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @raleedy!

The Safari extension cannot be reinstalled, as it's included with the main 1Password for Mac app. It can only be enabled or disabled in the Safari Preferences. Before we try anything however, can you try updating to the latest 1Password for Mac version 7.8, and see if things start working again there?

• raleedy
    raleedy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. But how? I'm not seeing any update option.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@raleedy:

If you are using the 1Password app from the Mac App Store, you should see the update in the App Store app. For confirmation, is that where you are looking?

• raleedy
    raleedy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that. I was able to update Safari in the App Store. Not sure how I should have known to do that as there was no notification or automatic update. After updating to Safari 7.8, I still have the problem of unresponsive Safari extension. I have closed and re-opened Safari and 1Password. Menu bar icon and context icon in Safari just unresponsive. FWIW Safari version is 14.0.3.

• @raleedy

Try giving the Mac a restart. If it's not a good time, you can also try the following steps. It sounds like you may have already tried these. If they yielded no results, I would give the Mac a restart.

1. Quit Safari completely.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.
  • raleedy
    raleedy
    Community Member
    Options

I did a restart. This completely resolved the issue. It's a step I often forget. Many thanks for the help!

• @raleedy

I am right there with you. It's an easy step to forget when you become focused. It's much easier to recall when you're assisting. It's funny how things like that work.

Have a great day!

• Bakari45
    Bakari45
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi, I’ve been having problems with the 1Password extension and menu bar app. When I click on them, the window doesn’t pop-up.
    After I restart my computer, they both work for while, but then they stop. Sometimes the menu app window will pop up when I switch to the Finder, which is odd that it only works in that app. I’ve tried re-enabling Safari extension more than a few times, but it doesn’t help.
    I really need to get this fixed, because I rely on 1Password a lot.

Note: I’ve tried restarting Safari and 1Password several times as well.

• @Bakari45

It sounds like you have run through the usual troubleshooting steps. I'd suggest reaching out to us using support@1password.com. We may need to take a more in-depth look at your setup.

This discussion has been closed.