Errors in password ratings

Manorake
Manorake
Community Member

How can it be that exactly similar passwords are rated differently?
One password is rated to be good, the second weak.

It's even worse: A total basic password (constisting of a 4 letter name and the year) is rated to be fantastic...

I don't get how 1Password should help to improve the users situation if it is not able to take the right password strength.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Manorake!

It's even worse: A total basic password (constisting of a 4 letter name and the year) is rated to be fantastic...

I tried generating a password like this, and 1Password rated it as "Terrible" for me. Are you able to reproduce this with a new Login item?

• Manorake
    Manorake
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    No, I can't reproduce. If I create a new one, it is rated as terrible like you say.... The errors are more related to existing ones, I guess.
    There are at least 2 pairs of identical passwords rated differently. Plus the one which should be worser than worse but is rated to be fantastic.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Manorake:

Thank you for the confirmation. I remember that there was an issue in a previous version of 1Password that made it rate passwords the wrong way. I think you might have encountered this bug. My understanding is that creating a new item should now show the correct rating.

This discussion has been closed.