How can I stop 1Password suggesting a new password on an existing password field?

Options

Within my web app, I have a password field that users need to fill before they can access sensitive information.

1Password suggests a newly generated password for this field, when it should be the users existing password entered. How can I make 1Password understand that this is an existing password field and not a new one?

The field has the following attributes:

• type=password
  • name=password
  • placeholder=Password
  • autocomplete=current-password

And the related label element reads 'Confirm password to edit variables'. There are no other fields in the form.

Many thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: macOS 11.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tdjsnelling!

Can you share the URL to the website perhaps, so we can test it?

• tdjsnelling
    tdjsnelling
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi,

Unfortunately there is not a public version that I can share just yet. However I have copied the relevant portion of the DOM here and you can observe the same behaviour.

https://1password-test.tdjsnelling.repl.co/

I created a new login within 1Password for repl.co. This is the password I would expect to see filled, but instead 1Password suggests a new password when focusing the field, despite everything about the form suggesting that the user should enter their current password.

• Hey @tdjsnelling. Thanks for that sample page. I'm gonna bring one of our developers into the conversation to take a look here. I am thinking this is occurring because of the word "confirm" which is almost always in new-password forms, where you enter a new password and then "confirm" that new password, but I would expect that autocomplete attribute to win here — but I'm not 100% on that. Please hang tight. :smile:

• @tdjsnelling hello!

My name is Jarek and I'm a part of the Extensions team here at 1Password. Sorry to hear that 1Password isn't functioning as expected in this situation!

Thank you for putting together that small example site for us, that was very helpful. I was able to take a look at what our autofill brain is determining about the field and form. We are unfortunately mis-classifying that form as a registration form today, and in doing so messing up on what would otherwise be a very straightforward current-password classification :(. (Thank you for using the autocomplete attribute! That's a great hint to provide to us.)

In this particular case, changing the htmlname of the field to "current-password" fixes the issue, because it gives us just enough of an extra hint about the field's type (in addition to the autocomplete attribute) to allow us to overcome the incorrect form classification. So, for the time being making that change would be one way to fix this.

Longer term, ideally we'd get things right from the start here, and I've filed an issue internally to make sure we improve in this area.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we really appreciate it! If you bump into any other filling issues please don't hesitate to let us know :smile:

• tdjsnelling
    tdjsnelling
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that seems to have solved the problem!

• Wonderful! I'm glad to hear that :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.