1Password Will Not Update to New Version

Options
AceFrehley51502112
AceFrehley51502112
Community Member

Hello!
There is a 1Password update in the Mac App Store, and every time I attempt to update, it says it's the update cannot be completed.
I've completely quit 1Password, and I have the latest version of Big Sur.

Is there a bug?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 11.2.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AceFrehley51502112!

Normally quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely) is enough to complete the update, but sometimes this can happen with the Mac App Store version of the app. In this case, users have reported that rebooting the system (or the Mac App Store app) can sometimes help. Can you try that too and see if that works for you too?

• AceFrehley51502112
    AceFrehley51502112
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that info! I definitely quit completely, but I’ll try re-booting.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @AceFrehley51502112! Let us know how it goes :)

• AlphonseJohns
    AlphonseJohns
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed it was good - many thanks for that. Just one intermediate step on MacOS 10.15.7.
    Click 1Password mini>Settings>Quit 1Password Completely

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlphonseJohns:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear this helped :)

Also, if you right-click directly on 1Password mini in the menu bar, you can quit 1Password completely from there ;)

• cafeuser
    cafeuser
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same problem. App Store telling me of a new version 7.8 to replace 7.7 but the install would not complete even after a reboot. After reading the suggestion above I manually stopped 1password and tried the install and was prompted to restart safari which was a bit annoying as I was in the middle of some other work but it was able to complete the installation and I'm now running 7.8. BTW I am still running OSX 10.15.7 Catalina on a 2019 MacBook Pro and will not able to upgrade to 10.16 until I finish a software delivery.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing, @cafeuser. Indeed; because of the way Safari App Extensions work it is sometimes necessary to quit both 1Password and Safari completely in order to complete an update. Hopefully in the future it will be possible to make this process more seamless.

Ben

• cafeuser
    cafeuser
    Community Member
    Options

I think it would be helpful if the update notification could include a warning that a manual restart of both 1Password as well as Safari might be necessary. I had tried several times and specifically scheduled a reboot to see if that would help. I was thinking that a bug might have been introduced when adding support for M1. Glad to see it working as I have been recommending 1Password to many of my friends and work colleagues as I believe it is an excellent solution for those working on both Windows and Mac.

• Ben
    Options

I think it would be helpful if the update notification could include a warning that a manual restart of both 1Password as well as Safari might be necessary.

I don't believe there is any mechanism for us to do that through the App Store. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though. 😁

I was thinking that a bug might have been introduced when adding support for M1.

This situation pre-dates that change, unfortunately.

Glad to see it working as I have been recommending 1Password to many of my friends and work colleagues as I believe it is an excellent solution for those working on both Windows and Mac.

We appreciate you sharing the love! Thanks for the kind words. 🥰

Ben

• BCAir
    BCAir
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks AceFrehley51502112!, your suggestion worked the first time I tried. All is well!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @BCAir, thank you for letting us know :+1:

• pinacate
    pinacate
    Community Member
    Options

I'm currently at 1Password 7.8 and am not able to install the update from the AppStore running Big Sur 11.2.3. I get msg "1Password 7 could not be installed". I've tried the following:

• "Quit 1Password Completely" -- I've run this from the 1Password app and from the menu bar helper.
    • I've quit Safari.
    • I've rebooted.
  • @pinacate

Well it sure is being finicky. Let go with a complete replacement.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    • Alternatively, if you do not have our helper shown please use the following steps to quit 1Password. Open or bring 1Password to the front and press the following keys. Command + Option + Control + Q (Q ⌘ ⌥ ^ Q)

• Feel free to try the update again at this point. If you continue to have trouble, proceed with the next steps and a replacement of the application.
    1. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    2. Restart the Mac.
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    • Optionally download 1Password from the Mac App Store.
      • If your troubles continue, I would go recommend using the direct download from our site to get you going as quickly as possible.
    1. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    2. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • pinacate
    pinacate
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. These steps worked in the sense that I'm now running the latest 1Password. I suspect I'll run into the problem on the next update but then maybe not :). I'll let you know.

• rudy
    Options

@pinacate,

Fairly certain you will on the next update, but maybe the one after that will be fine.

• POIRET
    POIRET
    Community Member
    Options

It seems that I have the same problem than you because I cannot update my 1Password application from 7.8 to 7.8.1. I got used to quit Safari, and 1Password completely before to click the App Store "update" button, but now that does nothing more. I am in 11.2.3 (Big Sur).

• @POIRET

Let's get things sorted for you with a replacement of the app.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the Mac App Store.
    6. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I will have to try this later. My rant....
    Every time I have an app that has issue updating from the Mac App Store, it's always 1Password. Then I am at my parents house dealing with this also. Then I have my father in law me calling for this issue. I never have this issue with other apps.

• POIRET
    POIRET
    Community Member
    Options

Thank-you for your advice, ag_tommy. I succeed in updating to 7.8.1.

• :+1: Have great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.