Where is the Smart Password Generator

Options
bspachman
bspachman
Community Member

This must be a case of PEBCAK (where the Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard), but I am running 1P 7.8 under Big Sur 11.2.2 and cannot find any way to activate the "Smart Password Generator" discussed in your recent blog post: https://blog.1password.com/a-smarter-password-generator/

What (if anything) am I missing?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bspachman!

You can find it directly in the 1Password in the browser extension: click on the extension button in your browser, then the big "+" button, and you will see it at the top of the list:

• bspachman
    bspachman
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. I'm familiar with using 1P to generate a password, but I still have the old-style password generator regardless of how I activate it: the toolbar button (for Safari's extension), 1P Mini (from the Mac toolbar), or even within the main 1P app. Here's a screenshot of what I see when I activate the generator from the Safari Extension toolbar button

I don't see the new "Smart Password Generator" referred to in the blog post.

Has the feature not been rolled out yet? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
    brad

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bspachman:

Thank you for confirming what browser you are using, that was useful! Safari is indeed using a different browser extension :+1: If you would like to see the latest version of 1Password in the browser (the one you see in the blog post) you can download it from here and try it in one of the other browsers we support.

In Safari, you get this new behavior directly in the inline menu, when you click on a password field:

• bspachman
    bspachman
    Community Member
    Options

OK, that makes more sense now. I have the inline features for Safari turned off (I find the extra icons and menus obscure too much of the page--and after training my fingers to use the keyboard shortcuts since v3, I don't really need them). I also don't use the browser extension version when I'm using Brave--I just stick with 1PMini :)

I guess the blog post excited me about the new feature, and the post wasn't terribly clear that you'd only see the UI if you used the 'in-browser' options for 1P. I was expecting to see that interface exposed in 1PMini and in the main app too.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion!
    brad

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @bspachman, I am glad I could help :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• mwean
    mwean
    Community Member
    Options

Does that mean you don't plan to bring the new password generator to the native mac app?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@mwean

If you are using our inline menu in Safari you can experience the new generator now.

Get to know 1Password in Safari on your Mac will give you some examples.

• mwean
    mwean
    Community Member
    Options

I don't really use Safari, and I prefer the native app. Do you plan to bring the new generator to the native app?

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

This already exists in 1Password X for non-Safari browsers. https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mwean:

Our developers are working on feature parity across all clients, so I am sure this is an option that they are considering for the future :) And as soshiito correctly wrote, you can already use this in other browsers with the browser extension itself in the meantime :+1:

This discussion has been closed.