Email used for account needed for recovery?

mvsjes2
mvsjes2
Community Member

I've been reading up on the many pages discussing account recovery options. From what I can see, you don't need access to your email address that you used to create your 1p account in order to recover your 1p account. But I want to be sure. Does 1p send a confirmation email to verify it's you anywhere in the recovery process?

I'm hoping it's not needed, but if it is, then there's a catch-22 since I use 1p to secure my email address, and if I can't get into 1p then I can't get to the email password to recover the 1p account, and I now need a second recovery plan to get to my email address outside of 1p.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@mvsjes2 You cannot recover your own account, but if you have a Families subscription then a Family Organiser can help recover the account of another family member.

https://support.1password.com/recovery/

The person being helped to recover their account will require access to their email inbox. If they are already logged-in to their email account on one of their devices then this shouldn't cause a problem. However, it makes sense for family members to keep a record of their 1Password master password and secret key or their email password and any associated two factor authentication. 1Password's advice focusses on the former, but the latter works just as well, assuming there is a Family Organiser who can help them with recovery.
    In my case, I have made a second family member a Family Organiser and I keep a separate record of my 1Password master password, secret key and 2FA credentials and my email account password and 2FA credentials. You don't need to keep all this in one place. For example, you can share your secret key with your family in a shared vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mvsjes2!

I've been reading up on the many pages discussing account recovery options. From what I can see, you don't need access to your email address that you used to create your 1p account in order to recover your 1p account.

Since there is no recovery for Individual accounts, I suppose you are referring to either a Families or a Business account, correct? In that case, another administrator can recover your account, but you do need access to the email address in that case. From our documentation page:

The person whose account you’re recovering will get an email from 1Password. When they click “Recover my account” in the email, a page will open in their browser. Then they’ll get a new Secret Key and create a new Master Password.

I'm hoping it's not needed, but if it is, then there's a catch-22 since I use 1p to secure my email address, and if I can't get into 1p then I can't get to the email password to recover the 1p account, and I now need a second recovery plan to get to my email address outside of 1p.

Do you only read your email in the browser? You could consider adding your email account to an email client, so you don't need to login and logout every time, and you will always have access to your email.

• mvsjes2
    mvsjes2
    Community Member

OK, thanks, then I should have my email account password saved in my emergency kit for some situations. I think the kit should make a point of having a slot for the email password that can be filled out. This catch-22 seems to be a possible hole in the recovery process, depending on how you have saved things.

• mvsjes2
    mvsjes2
    Community Member

Though I guess if I have my emergency kit, I won't need the email password. Sigh. This stuff is hard to get your head around - so many whirling parts!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@mvsjes2 The email password only helps if someone else in the family is a Family Organiser and can help with recovery. Saving your Emergency Kit works in all situations.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mvsjes2:

If you have access to your Emergency Kit, you won't need access to your email for recovery: with the Emergency Kit, you have all the information you need to access your 1Password account, so no recovery would be necessary in that case.

This discussion has been closed.