1Password 2FA for email account etc.

digitaldave
digitaldave
Community Member

I've been looking for info on using 1Password for 2FA on sites, and need some clarification. According to this link (https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/), it implies that you copy and paste the 2FA OTP when you log in using 1Password.

1) I assume this means I need to set up 2FA in the desktop and mobile versions of the app?
2) If I have both iOS and iPadOS on two different devices as well as a Mack and PC, do I need to set each one up for 2FA separately?
3) What happens when I'm away form my main computers, but have access to my iPhone? Obviously I can get to the username and password, but how would I get the 2FA OTP?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    1. The 2FA secrets are synced; you need to add 2FA only once
    2. The 2FA secrets are synced; you need to add 2FA only once
    3. The 2FA code is displayed on your phone; just manually type those 6 digits
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@digitaldave:

The 2FA code is a field that is stored inside the 1Password app, in the specific item you activated it for, and is synced to your other devices like any other field you store in 1Password. Instead of being a fixed field, it is a special field which generates TOTP codes every 30 seconds, but other than that it works like anything else you have in 1Password.

• digitaldave
    digitaldave
    Community Member

Thanks for the answers @XIII and @ag_ana.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @digitaldave :)

This discussion has been closed.