Backing up 1password data on USB drive

Options
PK2
PK2
Community Member

How do I backup all of my 1password data (encrypted behind my master password) onto a usb drive that I can keep in a physical safe?

Can I also include a version of the 1password software on that USB drive? Will that software run without internet?

Basically I'd like to create a physical, isolated, self-sufficient backup of my data. Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PK2!

It is currently not possible to export data encrypted, it can only be encrypted while inside the 1Password app. You can however already use 1Password completely offline, an internet connection is not required since a copy of your data is already cached locally on your device.

• PK2
    PK2
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @ag_ana. Is it possible to save 1password and its data to a usb drive? And boot from there?

Do you have another recommendation for storing a 1password backup offline securely?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PK2:

Is it possible to save 1password and its data to a usb drive? And boot from there?

I am not aware of a way to do this. Perhaps however it would help if you could let us know something more about this: what are you trying to achieve, or what are you trying to protect against? Perhaps there is a simpler alternative.

For example, if you are using 1Password.com to sync your data, backups are taken automatically for you already:

1Password backups

Do you have another recommendation for storing a 1password backup offline securely?

The only thing I can think of is to export a copy of your data, and store it on an encrypted drive if you wish. Your data would not be encrypted by your Secret Key and Master Password anymore, but it will be encrypted with the password you use for the drive.

• PK2
    PK2
    Community Member
    Options

I'm looking for a way to back up my data safely and to have it be accessible/viewable in the event 1Password.com is not accessible for some reason.

Perhaps the only way to do that is to export everything as an unencrypted CSV file, then to load that onto an encrypted USB drive.

• @PK2

All devices have a data cache that is available while offline. Once you return to an area with cell or wifi coverage, any changes will be synced or from some kind of outage.

This discussion has been closed.