Is there a reason unlocking the desktop app cant unlock the extension?

klepp0906
klepp0906
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

these two are linked right? Its pretty annoying having to unlock one then the other all the time. For all i know theres some security ramification in doing so but with them both running on the same pc, as a layman I have no idea what that would be. I wouldnt be here if I werent after security but one has to balance the level of security with convenience, and the more convenient you make it the more likely people are to use it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @klepp0906,

The standalone extension you have on your browser works without the need for the 1Password app and doesn't support touchID at the moment. However, we are working hard to integrate the new 1Password in your browser with the desktop app so you can have the best of options. I can't tell you the exact date, but we are already at the final stage, so you can expect to use touchID to unlock the 1Password in your browser very soon, and you can go here for more information and updates.

Currently, only the classic extension allows using biometrics to unlock 1Password and stays unlocked after closing your browser. If touchID is important to your workflow, you can get the classic 1Password extension from here: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/ => scroll down to "Install the 1Password classic extension" and select your browser.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

Hi and thank you for the reply!

I'm unsure what led you to make the association between the mobile platform and the desktop platform or if you were just being thorough. I'm inquiring purely from a windows environment (even though i do use iOS, i havent gotten that far in setting up 1password, im new!)

When i started using this/a password manager I had assumed all I would need is the windows application to fill web passwords/forms for me. I was surprised to see that wasnt the case and it required the extension. That left me wondering what purpose the desktop application would even have sans extension apart from being much easier to work within/manage.

Glad to see getting them intertwined is on the horizon. I have nothing but time seeing as I have about 700 identical or very similar passwords to make unique before I worry about the details :P

• ttueni
    ttueni
    Community Member

Hello, I just noticed the latest browser extension release 3/30/2021 says this:

"Using biometrics to unlock 1Password in the browser is now possible ☝️"

Are you referring to the linux version only?

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021

@ttueni

It would seem that way.

And with the most recent release of 1Password for Linux and this new stable, you can now experience the following:

Unlocking 1Password for Linux will automatically unlock 1Password in the browser
    Restarting your browser will leave 1Password in the browser in the same lock state
    Using biometrics to unlock 1Password in the browser is now possible ☝️

• theredmoose
    theredmoose
    Community Member

+1 for browser ext and app login being one.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for chiming in on this as well @theredmoose :+1:

This discussion has been closed.