Limit Vaults for Safari Inline Menu

khoi
khoi
Community Member

I like the Safari inline menu but it would be a lot more useful for me if it followed the behavior of other 1Password menus when displaying vaults.

That is, instead of showing me passwords from all of my vaults, it should respect the 1Password -> Preferences -> Vaults -> Always Open to selection.

I always keep this selection on "Last used vault" in order to see only the passwords that I keep in my primary vault. Despite this, the Safari inline menu shows me all matching passwords, regardless of which vault they're stored in. This is a lot of clutter to begin with, but the problem is compounded by the fact that the inline menu is smaller and harder to navigate than other 1Password menus.

Is there a way to change this behavior currently? If not, please consider making this change.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.2
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Joshua_ag
    edited April 2021

Hi @khoi,

The Safari Inline Menu is intended to give quick access to your data part of that is showing all of the data you could want to use to log in so you don't need to try to switch vaults within that menu (if you had selected a different vault than the one with the login you are looking for). Our team does realize though that you may have vaults that you don't ever want to be suggested in the inline menu you can make it so those vaults don't appear in the inline menu by excluding them from all vaults.

Alternatively if you did want those vaults to still appear, you can filter your logins by name, by typing the name of the login. See attached GIF.

• khoi
    khoi
    Community Member

I don't really understand why you would treat vaults as being essentially immaterial n the Safari inline menu when you respect the vaults concept in other 1Password menus?

It seems like there are two different, contradictory philosophies at play in the product regarding whether a user does or does not want to see across all vaults when "auto-filling" in the browser This strikes me as very odd, and not a great way to reduce friction, as I have to now remember these two different mental models.

To me, the approach that 1Password uses for its other menus makes much more sense and should be applied to the Safari inline menu as well.

That said, the option to exclude a vault from "All Vaults" does not solve my problem here. The point of vaults is that you can see what's in them at different times under different circumstances.

• Joshua_ag
    edited April 2021

@khoi

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry for the confusion between the two different models. The Safari inline mention intentionally matches the inline menu of 1Password in other browsers. As this was an intentional decision I don't want to promise that we will make the change and have the menu in Safari line up with your selected vault as it would then make it so the inline menu in Safari & other browsers function differently or would require a change across 1Password in all browsers.

In any case we do track feature requests and I have added your request to have the Safari inline menu match the selected vault in the 1Password Mac app. Our developers will keep track of this request and consider the pros and cons of adding the feature to future versions of 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.