Does the new browser extension work with the desktop app yet?

vahdyx
vahdyx
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

It's my understanding that the browser extension, formally 1Password X, will work with the desktop app replacing the older version of the extension. This way the desktop app can authenticate the browser version so we don't have to keep signing in when the browser closes or use a secondary extension to keep Chrome open in the background.

Is this a thing yet? If not, do you know when or is it still TBD?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @vahdyx

Nope not yet. :frown: We're till awaiting the features return. Hang in there we're right there with you.

• Argent
    Argent
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

I love everything about 1password except the fact that I cannot use the desktop app with the new browser extension. And now that the old extension has been removed from the chrome web store, I'm about ready to choose another product. This problem has been hanging out for way too long.

Not all of us are ok with having to sync our vaults to the 1password service. But I cannot give up the in-browser functionality either.

Is there any time estimate on when the desktop app might work with the new extension (without the need for the cloud service)? Is that even officially on the roadmap?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Argent:

We don't have a time estimate yet, but our developers are working on it ;)

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

In the meantime, you can always download the classic extension from here, should you need it:

Get the 1Password classic extension

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

It seems not very high priority, given the linked thread is soon 1 year old. That's not "temporarily". It's a bit disheartening to see Windows looks like a second class platform for 1Password. I noticed too late the major userbase is on Mac (where this integration seems to be present all along).
    I tried the classic extension, but the actual process of autofilling isn't as integrated with it as with the new extension, so i rather go with the new extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tertius3:

I noticed too late the major userbase is on Mac (where this integration seems to be present all along).

I am afraid in this case not even Mac users can benefit from this: the feature is within the extension itself, so it does not change what platform you use the extension on :( But I agree, hopefully our developers will be able to add it back soon :+1:

• gtf21
    gtf21
    Community Member

This is really annoying -- on my mac I could use the classic extension and at least I could easily create and edit passwords from 1pwd mini or it would open the desktop app directly. On Linux this option doesn't exist, and it's sort of surprising given how much AgileBits touts 1PasswordX (or whatever it is called now) as an amazing piece of software. It feels like a really downgraded version of the original experience and has done for at least the last year (which is how long I have had to put up with it).

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

There has been a significant update just 1 or 2 weeks ago that delivered the requested functionality (sharing the unlock between desktop app and browser extension). Works perfectly! There is absolutely nothing to complain about any more.

Try the current version of the desktop app and the current version of the new browser extension. Don't use the classic extension, it will never work with that, because that isn't being developed any more. I don't know how it is on Mac, but on Windows the new extension is way better and way more integrated than the classic extension. The classic extension simply looks like a clumsy wrapper around the desktop app and a remote control for it, while the new extension is really integrated and standing on its own. It's a part of the browser, while the classic extension feels foreign.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, things work much better now with the new 1Password in the browser and the desktop app, both on Mac and Windows!

If you're having troubles integrating the two, open a new discussion here in the forum (or email us to support+x@1password.com) and we'll be happy to help :chuffed:

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@Tertius3 I can't decide if I like it or not. I still like the old classic extension but I think the new extension is growing on me slowly.

I hope the new extension works offline or at like semi works.

Know there always the program that surely will.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ttim03 ,

The new extension works offline as it also stores a local copy of your data, just like any of our other apps. However, you won't be able to save new stuff with this extension in offline mode.

I'm glad to hear you're starting to like it. It does offer a much better autofilling experience and great new features :)

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_yaron! Greatly appreciated!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.