I'd like a separate vault or account with a separate password

Options

I like to maintain two sets of saved passwords: one set that I use everyday, and a separate set that I use more rarely and is protected by a separate master password. I do not want my rare password set to be accessible from my everyday master password.

What's the best way to do this? I'm a new subscriber.

I've tried creating two accounts with my family subscription, but I haven't been able to switch between the accounts very easily. The web interface suggests I can 'sign into a another account', but when I try that, it spins forever. (firefox 1password extension).

I have been able sign out of one account, and then sign into the other, but it's awkward. Switching is slow, requires both master passwords, and I'm not sure if it would work without a network connection.

I suppose I could use a separate desktop web browser for the rare passwords, but I don't think approach that will work on android / iOS.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.24.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:mulitple accounts

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @multiple ,

You can't sign in with two accounts that exist under the same family account simultaneously to any app/extension. My best suggestion would be to set up another user profile in your browser, which is like an entirely new browser, install the 1Password extension in it and sign into the other account there.

When you need the uncommon passwords, switch to that user profile in your browser and unlock 1Password there.

If you want to have both accounts on the same app/extension, then you'll need to sign up for a completely separate 1Password.com account (not in your family account, but a separate one). Then you will be able to add both accounts to the same extension, and the Master Password you use to unlock the extension will determine which account is unlocked and active. To switch between them, you'll have to lock the extension and unlock it with the other Master Password.

Does that help?

• multiple
    multiple
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_yaron.

OK, so if I want this to work on mobile, I should buy an extra license. Then I can have two passwords. And just to confirm: switching doesn't require a network connection?

And there's no alternative that would save me a second subscription, perhaps with standalone vaults or something?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That won't work on mobile or in our native desktop apps. It will only work in 1Password in the browser.

Every native app (the mobile or desktop app) will unlock all accounts with a single Master Password, so it won't leave the additional account locked.
    However, if you turn on Travel Mode on the other account, then it will indeed not show up at all in the apps or the extension: https://support.1password.com/travel-mode/

The downside is that every time you'll need to use something from that vault/account, you'll have to log into your account at https://my.1password.com , turn off travel mode and only then will you regain access to the contents of that vault.

I'd also like to note that I'm not completely sure why you decided that having a separate vault with a separate Master Password is the right way to go. I too have a different vault that contains passwords and logins that I rarely use, but it is still in my main account and unlocks alongside all of my other vaults when I use 1Password. It doesn't bother me or interrupts my workflow, and it is still super secure because I don't leave 1Password unlocked for more than a few minutes when needed.

Perhaps you can give it a try for a few days and see if a setup like mine would do the trick for you as well?

• multiple
    multiple
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks again for the information. I'm disappointed that I can't make multiple passwords work very well for mobile devices in this scenario, even if I buy two subscriptions.

I like a separate password for the rare vault as an additional security measure (as you surmise). I unlock the daily use passwords all the time, and sometimes while I'm in public places. So I like to keep a more secure vault locked under a separate key.

For example, I'll unlock my daily passwords on my phone to get access to my airline numbers while I'm in the airport, but I don't want my more rarely used financial passwords at risk while I do that. On occasion, I've unlocked my financial information on my phone from my hotel and then called my bank. So mobile access to the secure set is useful, but I'm extra careful about being observed or having my phone stolen while the rare vault is unlocked.

I'm surprised that multiple master passwords or separate passwords per vault is not a commonly requested feature. I've maintained two master passwords with other password managers. And I would expect some corporate users to often tiers of security or stricter separations between home & corporate vaults..

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021
    Options

Thank you for the additional information and feedback here @multiple .
    I'll see where I can forward this to.

You can combine some of my suggestions to get what you are looking for:

• Have two separate accounts and with two different Master Passwords.
    • Add these accounts to all of your devices.
    • Put the account with the "rare" vault in Travel Mode. That vault will not show up on any device at all (even if you input the Master Password) until you turn off Travel Mode via your account's profile on our website.

The caveat is that turning off Travel Mode can be a bit cumbersome if you have to do that daily, but since you mentioned you don't use it often, it might actually work well for you :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#61

This discussion has been closed.