Use the same password with different usernames?

derkork
derkork
Community Member

Our company has a somewhat peculiar setup. We use Microsoft office login to log into everything. This is sometimes done using OAuth where you are redirected to a Microsoft webpage to enter your credentials and are then redirected back into the app. This works fine. However some other apps do this differently and directly query Microsoft's services with your credentials. For these apps you have to use a different username (john.doe instead of john.doe@example.com) but the password needs to be the one from the Microsoft login. So far I have found no real good way to support this in 1Password. There are two options I have tried, both having drawbacks:

1. Have just one login stored in 1Password and use this for all the websites that are connected to it somehow. 1Password supports this out of the box. However for applications which require the different username, I have to manually adjust the username after 1Password auto-fill is done.
  2. Store two variants of the login, one with each username but having the same password. This is more convenient, however 1Password warns me that I have re-used a password and if I want to change my password I need to remember to update both logins in 1Password.

So far I'm leaning towards variant 2 as I don't change my password all the time, but that warning is really nagging me (I know i could ignore it but my inner freak really doesn't like to have something unclean in my vault). So I wonder if there is a way to tell 1Password "you know these two logins they actually belong together and should always have the same password"?

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: 1.24.0
OS Version: any
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @derkork!

So I wonder if there is a way to tell 1Password "you know these two logins they actually belong together and should always have the same password"?

Not at the moment, but our team is investigating ways to improve the experience in cases like these in the future, so in the meantime I have let our developers know that you have also encountered this situation :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#16

This discussion has been closed.