Use fingerprint to unlock the browser extension.

Rhoen
Rhoen
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Right now to enter a password my flow is this:
Cmd+forward slash to open 1password Mac App
Use my fingerprint to unlock the app
Search for my master password
Copy master password
Switch back to the browser
Cmd+period to open 1password browser extension
Paste in master password
1password fills in account details.

On my old computer with 1password 6 i never experienced this flow of needing to unlock my 1password twice, but now that i think about it maybe that was because i didn't have a fingerprint scanner, so i just typed out my password inside the browser extension. There was no need to bother unlocking the app. Now however, i would much rather use the fingerprint scanner to unlock and immediately fill in the account details. Is something i can fix with some settings changes? Is this apple's fault? Thanks for the advice.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: 1.24
OS Version: OSX 11.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Rhoen ,

Sounds like you have installed "1Password in the browser", which works separately from the 1Password 7 desktop app. You'll want to start your workflow in the browser - no need to launch the desktop app at all.

If your Master Password is too long or complicated to type in, I suggest you change it for a strong worded password: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable

We do recommend using 1Password in the browser as it offers a much better autofilling experience, but if you prefer the old experience where 1Password doesn't show up automatically inside fields and works with the desktop app, you can install 1Password Classic instead: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

Now that you know the differences, I hope you'll give 1Password in the browser a proper chance and see how it works for you :)

This discussion has been closed.