Update to Version 7.8.1 Fails on Big Sur 11.2.3

Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Community Member
edited April 2021 in Mac

1Password 7.8.1 is available now for MacOS, but updates fail when updating from the App Store or downloading the 1password-7-8-1.pkg file directly from the 1Password website.

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Big Sur 11.2..3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Waikoloa

Try opening the 1Password from the Applications folder. We have a few reports of that behavior, and it looks to be something within the installer that's not recognizing the install succeeded. Everyone I have talked with was able to open the application. That said, I also received the same message on one of my M1 Macs, where 1Password opened from the Applications folder without issue. I think you'll have the same results.

• Waikoloa
    Waikoloa
    Community Member

Thank you. I did as you suggested and indeed the version of 1Password is indicated as 7.8.1.

• :+1: Let us know if you run into any further difficulties. We would be happy to help.

• Waikoloa
    Waikoloa
    Community Member

The FireFox for MacOS browser extension still works with version 7.8.1, but since upgrading, I note that the Safari browser extension no longer works.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Waikoloa:

Can you please elaborate? What happens exactly when you try to use the browser extension in Safari?

• Waikoloa
    Waikoloa
    Community Member

Clicking on the "Unlock 1Password" button when it appears on a site does nothing. I have shut down the app and restarted my computer, but that does not help. FireFox for MacOS is unaffected and the Command Period method works fine.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2021

@Waikoloa

I had another user in a different thread indicate that he had to perform two restarts to clean what ever was causing the traffic jam. Can you try that again? Perhaps better yet try a complete quit and a cold start. That is one of my preferred methods when I encounter weirdness.

• dionbeck
    dionbeck
    Community Member

I am seeing same issue with 1Password 7.8.1 not updating via the App Store on OS Big Sur (version 11.2.3), have tried over two days, and have restarted system and quit completely 1Password, all with no success. It simply pops up with a box stating "Unable to Download App"....yet I am still able to open 1Password, but it is showing version 7.8 (70800001). I also took the path of opening via "Applications" folder, and it is same version shown in picture below. So no issue with actually opening the older version, just an issue with updating to the newest.

• Waikoloa
    Waikoloa
    Community Member

@dionbeck

After encountering the same issue you did, I gave up trying to download and install the update from the App Store. I downloaded the pkg file for the update directly from the 1Password website. That did install successfully, although I had to launch it from the Applications folder.

Note that the install still didn't indicate it was successful, but afterward checking "About 1Password" showed it was running 7.8.1.

• Waikoloa
    Waikoloa
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Thank you. It did take multiple restarts of Safari but it is finally working, both on Safari and FireFox for Mac.

• tomk
    tomk
    Community Member

I've had the same problem with version 7.8.1 and macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 - unable to download via App Store. Downloading the pkd file did not help initially. I finally did complete logoff; restarted, and magically now it works for both browsers tested Safari and Firefox. Not sure what was causing the problem. BUT THEN AGAIN, my experience with Big Sur 11.2+ in general has caused many problems with my 2019 MacBook Pro 16. Including in Big Sur 11.2 TimeMachine converting without warning a partitioned 6 TB attached G-Raid disk into a single APFS drive losing 4+ TB of data in the other partition... Still scrambling to restore the data from other sources...

• HalfBekend
    HalfBekend
    Community Member

I also have the problem of not being able to update.
    macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
    MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2020
    1Password active instance: Version 7.8 (70800001) Mac App Store.

I will refrain from the work around downloading via Agile Bits. What are the consequences of downloading via AgileBits? Does it then later still update via the AppStore? Is the version different from the one in the App Store? Has it been test/reviewed the same way as the one in the App Store?

• @HalfBekend

No the updates will come directly from us via the in app updater process.. There are very minute differences. For example our betas are not allowed in the App Store version due to App Store guidelines. The updater process is another difference. We test all of the versions prior to release.

• HalfBekend
    HalfBekend
    Community Member

Without changing to the download via AgileBits, the problem solved itself: in the end the update via the App Store succeeded :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @HalfBekend, thank you for the update :)

• hstangor
    hstangor
    Community Member

Same problem here with Big Sur 11.2.3 and while updating Mac Appstore Version from 7.8 to 7.8.1 .
    Had this for over a week. Deleted 1Password using Lauchpad (Longpress and X).
    Afterwards was able to install 7.8.1 from AppStore without problems.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing what worked for you @hstangor! :+1:

• xandarar
    xandarar
    Community Member

AppStore lists 1Password update 7.8.2. When I try to update (MacBook Air, M1, OS 11.2.3), am prompted to close 1Password -- but it is not open. Message: The update couldn't be completed, try again later. What is happening? What do I need to do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@xandarar:

Do you see a little 1Password icon in the status bar on the top right of your screen? If 1Password mini is still running, you can try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely).

This discussion has been closed.