Getting increasingly difficult to use browser extensions

Options
alexmidd
alexmidd
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Sorry for the double post, this was posted in the "Lounge" by mistake, and it won't let me delete it or move it.

I have been having no luck at all in getting 1Password browser extensions to work. I have already had to switch from using my preferred browser, Safari, to Chrome, because the extension just does not work. I click the icon in the toolbar but it either does nothing or it says "Manage extension", which only gives me the option to enable or disable the extension.

So, now to Chrome. Usually it works fine, but tonight I got a message on screen saying that the extension could not communicate with the browser because it is by an "unsigned developer". It's Chrome, developed by Google, probably the biggest company in the world! It said I had to restart Chrome, which I did, but after that the extension has not worked.

If I click the icon I get a dropdown menu with various options, the first of which is "1Password Extension (Desktop App required)". I have the desktop app and it is running and logged into. But clicking this option just opens a new tab in Chrome with the 1Password log in page. If I log in, it takes me to my account, but the extension still doesn't work. If I click "Install browser extensions" from with 1Password, I get taken to another page that says to remove the extension from Chrome and then download a new extension (the "classic" extension?), but this just took me to a page to download the SAME EXTENSION that I had just removed. After installing it, I get the same dropdown menu when I click the extension's icon.

So, where to go now. That's two browsers that i can't use with 1Password any more. I'm getting to the stage that I want to move to another password manager as 1Password is just getting more and more difficult to use. How has this happened? To my mind you can't get better than 1Password, but it is more frustrating than using a pen and paper now and it's getting silly.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get these things working and in a way that i don't have to go through all this again please? I should be doing other things but this is taking my time up and it shouldn't be like that with a premium application.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.8 (7080001)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Another question. I see on another thread it says to download the 1Password application from the 1Password website. However, I use the version in the Mac app store as I find it easier to get updates for that version. Does it make a difference?

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I tried a resolution that was mentioned in another thread, namely to delete the 1Password app and download it again from the 1Password website. The extensions seem to be working now, so I guess that has resolved the issue, for now anyway. It's not 100% ideal as I like to use the Mac App Store version, but if it means it works then that's the main thing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alexmidd:

Typically when you see that message in the browser extension, either 1Password or Chrome have recently updated, so quitting both and relaunching them should help :+1: If it doesn't work right away, you can try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password.

Another question. I see on another thread it says to download the 1Password application from the 1Password website. However, I use the version in the Mac app store as I find it easier to get updates for that version. Does it make a difference?

There are just minor differences: the version of 1Password from our websites gets updates faster, and you can also scan QR codes for 2FA with 1Password for Mac (which is a feature that does not work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password).

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks. I will try those next time (if I remember 😉.

The downloaded version does sound a bit better too so I will stick with that.

Alex

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @alexmidd :) If you have any other questions, we are always here :+1:

This discussion has been closed.