Can you generate Smart Passwords using the Classic Browser Extension?

In 1Password In Your Browser (aka 1Password X), as well as 1Password for Safari, the password generator can generate 'smart passwords', that are around 17-19 characters long, somewhat memorable, and conform to the password rules of the specific site you're on.

However, I can't dind the option for this in the 1Password classic extension.

Are smart passwords missing from the classic extension, or am I missing something? Thanks for any help!

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.3
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rivercliko!

"Smart Passwords" can only be created by the newest extension, but if you are using the Classic extension, you could set the password generator to something like this to achieve a similar result:

• rivercliko
    rivercliko
    Community Member

Thanks Ana, that's a good idea. Obviously it won't be able to automatically tell the password requirements of the site I'm on, but it's a good compromise.

I'd love to switch to the new extension, but the lack of TouchID, keyboard shortcuts for switching vaults, and dark mode make it pretty unusable for me. Is there any word on when these features will be reintroduced?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rivercliko:

We don't have updates on the keyboard shortcuts, but dark mode is already there in the latest beta, and desktop app integration is currently being worked on as we speak ;)

• rivercliko
    rivercliko
    Community Member

That's great to hear, especially about the dark mode - I had no idea! Is there a good chance that the classic browser extension will continue to be supported for a good while (at least in terms of community support and security updates)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rivercliko:

I think it will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future for sure, but it's also true that all development effort has now moved to the new 1Password in the browser extension. So we don't have specific timelines at the moment, for now both are there and things should continue to remain like this for a while.

This discussion has been closed.