Can I Disable 1password launch automatically on startup on macOS?

BobTheBuilder
BobTheBuilder
Community Member

I was not able to find a way to disable 1Password from launching automatically when my mac lauches. How do I do that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BobTheBuilder!

Is 1Password listed under the Login Items menu in macOS Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items tab?

• BobTheBuilder
    BobTheBuilder
    Community Member

No its not, but the application still launches on startup.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BobTheBuilder:

While the 1Password icon is in the dock, please right-click on it and select Options from the menu. Is Open at Login enabled there? As far as I know, this is a macOS behavior, since I don't see anywhere in 1Password a setting to control this.

• BobTheBuilder
    BobTheBuilder
    Community Member

The open at login is not checked. Its quite unfortunate, i think there is no way to prevent it launching, is there? Are you able to prevent your 1password install from launching at boot time?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BobTheBuilder:

For confirmation, to make sure we are on the same page: are you referring to the main 1Password app, or to 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top of your screen? Which one is launching automatically for you?

• @BobTheBuilder

In addition to what Ana asked, are you seeing a light appear under the Dock icon and 1Password 7 show in the menubar?

It sounds like this is just macOS loading processes, including 1Password mini/helper, on startup, since you've configured it to do that (which is recommended since it enables browser integration): 1Password is showing up because you have it set for macOS to launch and in the background. It just happens that macOS is showing 1Password's menu bar or Dock icon as active while loading everything on startup. Depending on your Macs' speed, and how long it takes to load everything else, and the order in which macOS happens to launch processes, you may or may not notice it.

Most people who do experience this see the behavior stop after macOS has completely started and all processes are running. I typically see this when macOS is rationing resources at startup. Often due to higher-level processes taking those resources. In my experience, this can be from things like antivirus software but could entail any app that needs high resources, and you have granted elevated access.

Does that sound like what you're experiencing? I was able to add RAM and move my Mac to an SSD, and it helped my experience greatly when I was in the same situation. I'm not saying you're having the exact same experience, but just that those steps helped me.

• BobTheBuilder
    BobTheBuilder
    Community Member

Oh sorry for the confusion.

I meant the 1Password mini in the menu bar, which also seems to create drop downs automatically in the browser. It was getting a little annoying so I wanted to disable it.

Thanks for your help, I think i understand whats happening, and by not having the browser extension I solved it. I uninstalled 1password and reinstalled it without the extensions.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear you found a configuration that works for you @BobTheBuilder :+1: Although you can just turn off the inline menu in the browser if that is what bothered you (Preferences > Browsers tab), for future reference in case you change your mind about this.

This discussion has been closed.