Feature Request: Autofill Anyway and Remember URL (Cross Platform)

Options
Whetstone
Whetstone
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi Guys, I love 1Password, but one feature I believe is missing on all 1Password apps / extensions is the ability to remember new URLs. For instance, the last time I used the 1Password Forums, it used the URL https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/ however it has now changed to 1Password.community which means that 1Password X did not automatically offer to sign me in. As far as I can tell, this could be corrected with 2 new features:

1. Autofill Anyway - If I open a login window containing an email and password box, when I open 1Password X and search for the website (e.g. 1Password Forums), rather than just having the box Open and Fill (Which may refer to an old link), a secondary button should say Autofill Anyway (or similar) and inputs the correct data. This would solve the issue of copying / pasting both the Username and Password.

2. Remember new URL - Assuming I have just used the aforementioned Autofill Anyway, 1Password X should then offer to add the new URL to the account entry (Perhaps options could be Overwrite URL or Add as Secondary URL?). This would stop the issue appearing again.

While this would solve most of my gripes, this issue does extend to mobile (iOS) as well. Sometimes when logging into an App, they use a different URL to handle logons (One recent example is my parking app). So while on their web portal they use www.SmartParking.com, the app handles logons using www.authmobismartparking.com (just examples). So when I go to use Password Autofill, 1Password suggests that this might not be a correct URL or whatever, which I then override. However, because I can't see the URL in App, I have no way to add it to the entry. Perhaps this could be solved by clicking "Add URL / App URL to Entry" in the Autofill Interface?

As an additional question, I wonder if there is any plan to support direct adding of entries to 1Password in iOS, as is currently offered by Keychain. Or is this a limitation of the 3rd party password manager?

Thanks All :smile:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Whetstone!

I think the reason why this is not happening automatically is for security reasons: if the URL changes, and it is different from the previous one, for 1Password it's a different website, so it doesn't mean that it should automatically fill information there (it could be a phishing website). This is why the very first URL change must be done manually by you, if you do trust the new domain with the existing credentials.

Just one note about this:

This would solve the issue of copying / pasting both the Username and Password.

A quicker way would be to add the new URL as a second website field to the Login item, so you don't need to copy and paste username and password ;)

As an additional question, I wonder if there is any plan to support direct adding of entries to 1Password in iOS, as is currently offered by Keychain. Or is this a limitation of the 3rd party password manager?

I think at the moment this is not available to third-party apps. But often features like this become available after a while to third party apps after a few iOS updates, so our developers are always keeping up-to-date when it comes to iOS news ;)

This discussion has been closed.