How do I enable 1Password only for specific websites?

Hi. I have started using 1Password to manage credentials recently for all my work-related accounts.
The browser plugin for Firefox works well for that.

On the other hand, I have been using Firefox Lockwise for all my personal accounts for years now (e.g. my ebay, or facebook account). I don't want to change that.

However, the 1Password plugin blocks my workflow - it tries to replace the Lockwise built into Firefox with itself. Firefox stops suggesting and autocompleting my credentials when I open non-work related websites. Instead, 1Password offers to fill the login forms, but of course, I don't have those credentials in 1Password vaults.

So as a workaround I have to constantly enable and disable the plugin when I want to login to a work-related website, or another website.

Is there a way to enable 1Password only for specific domains? That would solve my issue - i.e. have FF manage everything by default, but enable the plugin on the handful of work-related websites.

Thanks,
Martin

1Password Version: 8.0.33-69.BETA
Extension Version: 1.24.2
OS Version: Linux Mint 20.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2021

Hi @Mao42!

I think this is a difficult use case to manage manually with whitelists and blacklists, and the easiest solution would be to use two browser profiles, one for work with 1Password installed, and one for personal usage without the 1Password extension.

• Mao42
    Mao42
    Community Member

Actually, it's a super easy use case to manage manually. It is definitely much much easier than using two separate browser profiles. That way I'd have to somehow manage two separate browser instances with two profiles and constantly switch between them. I don't want that. I have a ton of other stuff in my browser that is shared between my workload needs. E.g. Bookmarks, search preferences, other plugins that support whitelisting, like SmartProxy.

If SmartProxy extension can do that, why not 1Password?

The list of domains I'd like to run 1Password with is quite small - maybe a dozen or so. I don't understand why would that be a problem to manage. I agree it would be best if you could select if you'd like to run 1Password in opt-in mode, or op-out mode. However, having just opt-in mode available would be enough.

But as far as I can tell 1Password does not support this.

Firefox neither - I can only select whether I want 1Password to run in private windows, which is not enough.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Mao42:

If SmartProxy extension can do that, why not 1Password?

I am afraid that I am not familiar with SmartProxy as I have not heard of it before, so I cannot comment on it. Sorry!

Firefox neither - I can only select whether I want 1Password to run in private windows, which is not enough.

When it comes to password managers, typically they require to be the only ones active to avoid interference with each other. For example, 1Password recommends turning off the browser password manager exactly because of this:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

So I imagine that Firefox behaves in a similar way. Because of this, using multiple browser profile would allow you to use both password managers without interference, even though it might not be an ideal solution for you. Perhaps this is something we can think about for the future though :+1:

• Mao42
    Mao42
    Community Member

OK then.

Perhaps this is something we can think about for the future though

That's all I can ask for. Thanks!

• Hey @Mao42. On behalf of Ana, you're very welcome. One more thing you might try: does it help if you turn off the 1Password inline menu, under Settings? You could then fill your logins from the pop-up and not have 1Password appear on pages where you're not using it for the majority of your sites.

Turning off "Make 1Password the default password manager" might help your situation as well, although I can't say for certain what the issue with Lockwise is since I do not use it. :smile:

• Mao42
    Mao42
    Community Member

Hello Michael. Thank you for your suggestion! This does indeed solve 95% of the problem :smile:

Still, domain filtering would be even better, but this helps tremendously :) now I can use FF lockwise by default, and use 1Password with a popup menu by rightclicking.

• I'm glad I could help, @Mao42. You're very welcome. :smile:

• dknopf
    dknopf
    Community Member

@ag_ana I don't understand this comment: "When it comes to password managers, typically they require to be the only ones active to avoid interference with each other." I have been using 1Password for many years alongside the Firefox password manager. This is a very typical use case because 1) there are sites where 1Password does not work, 2) there are sites where tight password security is not important, and 3) it is always much faster to log in with Firefox password manager than with 1Password. Only with 1Password 7, it now appears that you can no longer use the two password managers side-by-side, as 1Password disables the built-in functionality so that users must choose one password manager or the other. Have I understood this correctly? If so, this is a major inconvenience that would probably have kept me from upgrading had I understood the limitation. If not, can you please explain how to use both password managers simultaneously? Thank you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dknopf ,

You can still use your browser's built-in password manager, we just turn it off by default when you install 1Password to avoid a lot of confusion and frustration that new users encounter (who are less tech savvy and do not know the difference between the browser's built-in autofilling and 1Password).

Simply go to 1Password's settings in your browser and turn off the "Make 1Password the default password manager" and you will be able to turn your browser's built-in autofilling features back on.

• dknopf
    dknopf
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron Thanks for your reply! I don't see such an option in Firefox (88.0.1), just options to enable or disable the 1Password extension:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@dknopf Have you turned off the "Make 1Password the default password manager" setting in the extension's preferences? If not:

1. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of Firefox.
    2. Select "Settings".
    3. In the settings page, turn off the "Make 1Password the default password manager" option.
    4. Now you can go to Firefox's settings and adjust its autofill as you see fit.
  • dknopf
    dknopf
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have turned off "Make 1Password the default password manager." I am still unable to select the Firefox option "Ask to save logins and passwords for websites" because it is grayed out (see screenshot in my previous comment),

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited May 2021

Hello @dknopf,

Can you please share another screenshot of the issue in which the option is still grayed out after turning off the "Make 1Password the default password manager." option? That will ensure that we are on the same page and find a solution easier.

• dknopf
    dknopf
    Community Member

@Nhat_Nguyen Sure, here you go:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @dknopf , but we meant if you can please upload a screenshot of the 1Password's extensions settings showing the "Make 1Password the default password manager" turned off. Also, can you please check if there's more than one 1Password extension installed in your browser? Perhaps you have both the beta and the stable version, but you only turned off the "Make 1Password the default password manager" in the beta version but left the stable version on.

• dknopf
    dknopf
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Thanks. I have only one 1Password extension installed. (I never installed a Beta.) Here are the General 1Password extension settings:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @dknopf .

It seems that something might have glitched there. The first thing I'd like you to try is to remove 1Password from Firefox completely, then re-add it and see if you are then able to turn off "Make 1Password the default password manager" option and turn on Firefox's built-in autofilling.

If that doesn't work, then next thing we should try is creating a new user profile in Firefox, install only 1Password in it and see if the issue persists there. Here's how to create a new profile in Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles

• dknopf
    dknopf
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Thanks. I removed and reinstalled the 1Password extension in Firefox via the 1Password>Install Browser Extensions ... menu command. I can now enable the Firefox password feature:

However, the 1Password extensions options look completely different from before and I no logner see a "Make 1Password the default password manager option. Instead I see a panel of options like this:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dknopf ,

Sounds like you installed the 1Password Classic extension instead of 1Password in the browser.
    You can stick to it if you'd like, its only downside is that it doesn't show up inside usernames/password fields automatically when you visit webpages.

If you'd like to go back to the newer 1Password in the browser, you can install it from here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

• dknopf
    dknopf
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Thanks. I don't like it. When I chose Install Browser Extensions from the 1Password menu, it took me to the page to install the Classic extensions. Not sure why. I remove and install from the link you provide and let you know the results. Thank you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

That's because the desktop app requires the Classic extension to function in the browser, but the newer 1Password in the browser works independently and does not require the desktop app at all :)

• dknopf
    dknopf
    Community Member

Ok, that makes sense. I have removed the classic extension and re-installed the new one, and everything seems to be working as expected now — i.e., I can use both the 1Password and Firefox password managers in parallel. Very glad to see that this is not a limitation in 1Password 7, as I'd initially thought. Thanks a lot for your help!

• @dknopf

On behalf of Yaron, you are most welcome! Feel free to reach back out if you have any issues.

This discussion has been closed.