Question about Enterprise Vault Size limits for functionality and accessibility.

Options
Eric_Klein
Eric_Klein
Community Member
edited May 2021 in Lounge

I would like to know if there is a threshold for vaults and or Items per vault where the interface starts to become unusable (freezes or long delays). I have about 30K password items I would like to store. A competing tool was unable to handle this load. So looking for other tools that can. Anyone have any experience with numbers in this range or close that can answer to it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:limitation

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2021
    Options

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @Eric_Klein! You mentioned Enterprise, so let me ask a follow-up question or two. 30K password items is quite a bit for a single user; are your referring to how many total password items there would be across a company 1Password Business account? If so, how many users? Or is this really 30K password items in a single user's account? And either way, which interface are you referring to? The 1Password browser interface? One of our native 1Password apps?

• Eric_Klein
    Eric_Klein
    Community Member
    Options

All good questions...First to clarify yes for a Business Enterprise Account. I have a team of 100 users that support multiple customers and has access to their sites with assigned accounts and passwords. This team currently maintains 30k+ password for all the accesses. They need to share them with each other so as things change anyone can update and add for all to use on the team. That is just one team we have several other that are similar but maybe with not that size of passwords. Does that help a bit more?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Eric_Klein - thanks. 30K in a single view will very likely slow down our browser-based client (signing in via 1password.com). I'm not sure whether the native applications would fare better under such conditions, but I do know that not viewing everything all at once will help. In any app or the browser, you can view All Vaults or a particular vault. You can also view All Items within whichever of those views you choose, or you can choose to view only Login items, or only Secure Notes, etc. Each way you limit the number of items that have to be available, you will make the process smoother and faster. If you have multiple customers and agents that also need to view all of their items, I'd recommend creating one shared vault for each customer of yours, and inviting all the agents/employees you need to each one. This may get you where you want to be, but more than anything else, I'd suggest creating a trial account - which can be used and tested without restriction (or payment) for two weeks. That's the best way to be certain our offerings will meet the needs of the way your workers will need to use 1Password.

• Eric_Klein
    Eric_Klein
    Community Member
    Options

Okay thanks for those details one more question you say just view the vault with the particular passwords you need. What would be the access requirements on that? This is what it sounds like to me please correct me if I am wrong....I have multiple vaults, each one is a single customer with say no more than 2k passwords. Will I be able to login into the interface browser /or client once and simply select the vault I need and then close it and open another without having to login over and over every time I switch vaults to another customer? If so that would be a better option.

• Ben
    Options

@Eric_Klein

Yes, you can switch vaults without logging out and back in. :) I wouldn't anticipate problems with ~2k items. Personally I have ~1500 without any difficulty, and I know we have team members with more. Additionally, with the desktop and mobile apps you can adjust your All Vaults view so that it isn't overloaded:

Use All Vaults to see all your items at once | 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Eric_Klein
    Eric_Klein
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks it has

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @Eric_Klein, thank you for letting us know :)

This discussion has been closed.