Import of LastPass CSV file does not honor "Name", but it IS stored in the CSV file.

Options
eirens
eirens
Community Member
edited May 2021 in Mac

I imported a LastPass export CSV today into 1Password for Mac version 7.

I have hundreds of records with no name/title in 1Password as a result. I looked in the CSV and tons and tons of these records contain a name value. For example (email and password changed to protect myself):

https://www.netflix.com/login?locale=en-US&nextpage=http://www.netflix.com/HdToggle,myname@gmail.com,password,,,Netflix,,0

Why does 1Password do a bad job of this import? How can I fix this?

Details: I see that it imported these names in a field named "names" under "OTHER FIELDS". To see this, go to edit the login record.

This is a really poor result. How can I handle it for my hundreds of logins?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@eirens

A LastPass export has columns in this order:

URL, Username, Password, Extra, Name, Grouping, Favorite

but your data lines up in columns like this:

How did you export your CSV file, and on what platform?

• eirens
    eirens
    Community Member
    Options

I exported it in Safari on a Mac via LastPass.com.

I'll try it again but via the LastPass browser extension. The extension wasn't working right for a bit but I hit it with a wrench long enough that it's behaving now.

• eirens
    eirens
    Community Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

Solved. **Thank you. **Just knowing there was hope was enough for me to try again. (I had retried with the extension, but I did the encrypted CSV that time and 1Password's import wouldn't take that one as input.)

The 1P Mac 7 "Import" box has a really weird little embedded HTML control/box in it. It behaves funky. You can't see it in the pic but in motion it's obviously weird. But it was my error, for certain.

I didn't notice that there was a different import group for "from browser" vs "from browser extension".

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2021
    Options

@eirens

It appears that the "export" via their website (which opens in a page), or their extension, or native app, now adds an extra column, "totp"

url,username,password,totp,extra,name,grouping,fav

So, they've changed their format, and this is not listed in the Change logs. The only possibly related change log item is:

v12.16.2020 - December 16th 2020 -- Vault

Integrated Time-Based One-Time Passcode.

I don't know if the 1Password team has updated their importer.

I can update the lastpass converter in the converter suite if you want to us it.

• eirens
    eirens
    Community Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thanks, but when I imported the non-encrypted CSV from the LastPass Safari extension, my "Name" values came into 1P nicely. So I'm all set!

The two LastPass CSVs I made today have this header row:
    Safari extension: url,username,password,extra,name,grouping,fav
    Safari (not extension): url,username,password,totp,extra,name,grouping,fav

It'd be nice if the "LastPass" import option in 1Password just looked at the headings and made good choices. I assume (with some lack of confidence) that the 1P developers have a good reason not to do that. So many other points of 1P are so nicely thought out (especially compared to LastPass) that I should give them the benefit of the doubt.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@eirens,

Interesting. The LastPass Safari extension (v4.71) for me, on Catalina, yeilds the totp column also. What version do you have installed?

The column format in the LastPass CSV export has not changed in years, so there was never any reason to look at the labels.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I’ve updated the lastpass converter to handle the totp column. I don’t yet know the details on this column, and will make fixes as issues are encountered.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you MrC!

This discussion has been closed.