Feature Request: A better way to store MFA Recovery Codes

Options
s4nji
s4nji
Community Member
edited May 2021 in Mac

Today, when presented with a set of recovery codes, I have multiple options to store it:

• Put them as passwords

• Password field strips linebreak, so I'd need to input them one by one
    • This works, but very clunky; inputting a dozen of recovery codes as password type fields would easily take me over a minute
  • Put it in a file, and add it as file attachment

• This works too, but also clunky; I would need to put it in a file somewhere to attach it (and remember to remove it afterwards)
    • Accessing the codes is probably clunky too (I can use Quick Look/Preview in macOS but not sure about other devices)
  • Put it in the notes

• This is the easiest, but ideally they should be hidden as passwords are, as they are short and anyone can steal a glance as it shows up on the screen
    • The notes section already supports markdown; it's not in the original spec, but a nice way to solve this is by adding spoiler (e.g. Reddit, Discord, StackOverflow) or collapsible element (e.g. GitHub) support

Ideally I think it would be nice if there's a dedicated field type for recovery codes, what do you think?

1Password Version: 7.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @s4nji!

Ideally I think it would be nice if there's a dedicated field type for recovery codes, what do you think?

Thank you for the suggestion! I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#212

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to second this request, I agree that handling of MFA recovery codes should be improved

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Noted, thank you @dserodio!

This discussion has been closed.