Every update is so frustrating to get working and form filling in Safari

Options
Lacrocious
Lacrocious
Community Member
edited May 2021 in Mac

Why is it so blasted difficult to update 1Password for Safari? Every time I have to fight with it. I just got a prompt from the AppStore to allow it to exit Safari and restart it to update 1Password. Safari restarts and shows a box to "Enable 1Password". I click this. I see 1Password in the Safari button bar. Going to a website with a password, the icon shows in the UserName and Password fields. Clicking them shows the "Unlock 1Password" window and button. Clicking it does nothing. Going to Safari Properties Extensions, I see the current extension. I can unclick it to make it unloaded. The icon goes away. I can click it again and the icon comes back. I still can't login.

All along, the 1Password App works fine. That is how I found my login to the community forums.

So now, I will have to restart Safari a few times, maybe reboot a few times, uncheck 1Password Extension in Safari Properties, restart Safari, reboot a few times, check 1Password Extension again, reboot and restart Safari a few times and eventually, it starts working.

Is there something I am doing wrong? How can this be made easier? Is anyone else having the same issue? There is now way I can recommend this to my older parents as they won't deal with the frustration. Its almost too much for me as an IT Guy, but I don't want to go back to LastPass.

Please Help! Thank you!
- L

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.1 (70801004)
Extension Version: 7.8.2
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• nickcin
    nickcin
    Community Member
    Options

There's a forum entry "nothing seems to work as it should" that may help (I had the same issue). The solution seems to be Quit 1Password completely (from the 1password icon in the Mac system toolbar), then quit Safari, then start the 1Password app, then start Safari. In my case, it looks like my Safari browser extension had updated to 7.8.2, while my running 1browser was still 7.8.1 (the upgrade had already been downloaded and installed, but apparently that didn't automatically upgrade the running 1password app). After restarting 1password, it is running 7.8.2. Incidently, this problem didn't affect my 1password X extension running in Vivaldi browser.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lacrocious!

After an update of either Safari or 1Password, you might have to restart them to make sure the connection remains established. These steps should help:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac on the top right of your screen and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Safari by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Safari and check if the extension is responsive once again.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nickcin:

Thank you for jumping in here!

Incidently, this problem didn't affect my 1password X extension running in Vivaldi browser.

Indeed: the Safari extension is different and built directly into 1Password 7, while 1Password X does not communicate with the desktop app, so it would explain why an update of 1Password for Mac had no impact on 1Password X in Vivaldi for you.

• Lacrocious
    Lacrocious
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana:
    Thank you - that helped. It is odd that when the installer requests to close Safari and re-open it because that is required to install the updated 1Password, that you then have to take additional steps to manually quit it (when it was not running because it was being update) and you have to restart Safari, which the installer already did.

It would be nice if the last step in the installer told you to exit 1Password via the top menu bar and to restart Safari before logging into 1Password. I have fought with the install a number of times over the past year and never figured out what caused it to work.

@nickin:
    I searched for and didn't find a forum topic for "nothing seems to work as it should". Anyway - your comment to exit Safari completely is the key. I will remember it for next time.

Thank you both for your help.
    - L

• ag_tommy
    Options

On behalf of everyone, you're welcome. Don't worry if you can't find something via search. We'll always point you in the correct direction. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.