All kinds of Safari problems

Wass
Wass
Community Member
edited May 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Apologies if this has been addressed. I looked but couldn't find it. In the last number of months I had 2 really annoying problems:

1. Autofill almost never works on Safari. You can click autofill but nothing happens. Or it works once and then doesn't work again. Across multiple computers 1P is very flakey about this or, often, even offering to autofill at all.
  2. The 1P pop-up completely obscures the iCloud Keychain pop-up in fields. While I try to keep all my passwords in 1Password, my family is not always as diligent. So there are many, many times iCloud Keychain has the current password and 1Password doesn't. But I can't choose because they're fighting each other. This started in 1P 7 and is super frustrating. What can I do?

1Password Version: 7.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Wass
    Wass
    Community Member

to clarify one thing: I did try the Develop > Experimental Features > Reset trick and it didn't fix it.

• @Wass

Where are you filling from? The inline option the helper or the browser extension? Perhaps that will help narrow down where the issue is at. Have you given1Password a complete quit? Please try these steps and let me know how it goes.

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.

As to the inline menu in Safari there are several options.

1. Disable the inline menu completely. 1Password > Preferences > Browsers - Safari, uncheck the option for "Show inline menu in Safari". This will cause 1Password to behave as it previously did before the inline menu.

2. Disable the automatic inline menu popup. I use this on my Macs. 1Password > Preferences > Browsers - Safari - uncheck the option for "Automatically show the inline menu when selecting a field." Now, whenever you want to access the inline menu, you will need to click the 1Password icon in the field.

3. Temporarily hide the prompt until the browser is restarted or until you right-click the page and select show 1Password. When the inline menu is shown, click on "Suggestions" and select hide on this page. This is useful if you want the inline menu on other pages.

• Wass
    Wass
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response. I will try disabling the inline popup and I'm sure that will solve the problem. As far as the autofill, since I don't have a form to fill out at the moment I tried it out on some dummy test sites and it still didn't work. The inline option doesn't generally appear and when I use the browser extension it does fill in my birthday but nothing else. Then, afterwards, if I click on a field I'll get a popup that says something like "click OK to allow 1P to autofill". I do that, but, again, nothing happens. This is persistent across a couple of my computers using Safari. The site I'm using is: https://rsolomakhin.github.io/autofill/ but I'm certainly open to trying it somewhere else.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Wass:

As far as the autofill, since I don't have a form to fill out at the moment I tried it out on some dummy test sites and it still didn't work.

Can you try filling forms on this website, and see if they work for you?

• Wass
    Wass
    Community Member

Thank you. I actually did try that one and, unfortunately, it doesn't work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Wass:

Thank you for the confirmation. It sounds like there might be something wrong with the Identity item itself. Can you create a new basic one, with just a random name, surname and address, and see if it fills for you then? I tried with a test Identity item now, and I was able to fill it on the last website I suggested.

• Wass
    Wass
    Community Member

Ok, progress. That seemed to mostly work (at least for that site). I'm still noticing some glitchy-ness with the pop-up "click OK to allow 1p to autofill..." It doesn't always fill after that. But when I hit autofill from the 1p mini menu it works pretty well. Thank you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update @Wass .

We've implemented some additional improvements to the confirmation prompt in our latest beta a couple of days ago so hopefully you'll experience less issues when you get that update in the stable channel. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.