How to change the category of an item?

Options
jbhaber
jbhaber
Community Member

There's a 6 year old closed thread on this question. At that time, it was shared that changing the category of an existing item was not possible, and not planned for future releases.

Has this changed? Is it possible to change the category after an item was entered

This would be a useful feature when items were entered incorrectly, or for items entered when the user was a novice, and didn't fully understand the benefits of categories.

(And no, I do not want to create a new item and copy and paste fields between records. That's clumsy and potentially prone to errors.)

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jbhaber

It is not possible to change the category from one to another. What sort of items are you trying to change?

Ben

• Designr
    Designr
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using 1Password since December of 2007 when I got your original "Christmas Special" pricing.

I have over 275 items, many which predate my memory.

Many were created before most of your Item Categories existed.

It would be super awesome if I could change the Item Category in some form, even if I could just copy and paste label/field pairs from one item to another.

Thanks.
    Brian

• Designr
    Designr
    Community Member
    Options

Another Thought: A hybrid Item, or the ability to create hybrid Items, would be great.

For example, I have several severs that I manage via a web portal. A sever category item that incorporated a console/web login would be great. As it is I have a server item and a login item for each server.

Even better, if it stored multiple encryption keys/passphrases and user login credentials (so I can login as various users).

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I ignore categories completely. These are the template names that were used to create the items, but these don't always reflect the actual data stored within the items. Also, 136 out of all my 169 items are login items, so this category doesn't have a real meaning. Instead of categories, I use self defined tags to categorize things.

It's a pity you aren't able to hide categories completely, but you are allowed to collapse them, so there is not too much space wasted. It would be nice if you could give each tag an individual icon, but currently a tag is only a text tag.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @Designr :+1:

For example, I have several severs that I manage via a web portal. A sever category item that incorporated a console/web login would be great. As it is I have a server item and a login item for each server.

Just a suggestion on this, in case it helps: have you considered using a Login item with a custom section with your server information?

• Designr
    Designr
    Community Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

That's what I do now. But I also have need for some of the server category features. I also need to log in as different users from time to time for testing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood, thank you for the clarification @Designr :+1:

This discussion has been closed.