Archive only function fail!

Options
youngjm
youngjm
Community Member

In the newest Mac release you removed the trash in favor of archive and tried to spin it as a positive. I am sure that is great for some but not all. If I delete something or a group of things and then I want to go to the trash and click on delete and not have to select the item again and delete it. Even gmail gives me a choice about archive or delete. Not many fails in your long history but make the delete functionality a choice of delete or archive.

I look forward to the bug fix/update tomorrow:-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

You can still right click on items and delete them. Both archive and delete are options.

I look forward to the bug fix/update tomorrow:-)

I admire your moxie.

• youngjm
    youngjm
    Community Member
    Options

Delete should still go to a trash can and not be immediate. It is a nice intermediate step to double check ones work. The removal of the trash can is a bug. The addition of archive is a nice new function but it requires still selecting each item to delete it permanently vs right click to empty trash. Immediate delete would also be a nice new feature but not a replacement for trash.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @youngjm!

Thank you for the feedback! Our founder Roustem wrote some thoughts about this just yesterday here, in case you would like to know some more details behind this choice :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And thank you for the assist here @soshiito :)

• youngjm
    youngjm
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Thanks for the feedback and the defense of the decision. I still contend that getting rid of the trash can is a mistake. Should have solved the online issue by itself as not every users uses the online portal. (I don’t!). I did not realize that emptying the trash still left things in a recently deleted bucket? Having a hole in the functionality until some point in the future is a bad decision.

Add an empty archive option to the right click and let the user rename it trash and it is fixed until you can solve the real issue without changing the long standing trash

I

• Ben
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on this @youngjm. We will continue to evaluate how to make this work best.

Ben

• youngjm
    youngjm
    Community Member
    Options

I just looked at my online recently deleted and cannot believe what I permanently deleted is still there and what a pain to delete again! Restore the trash can in the apps and work on a real fix. And a destroy all for what is in recently deleted. I recommend this product too much for this kind of Bug! (Yes it is a bug even though it was planned)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@youngjm The contents of View Recently Deleted is the contents of the former Archive. It has always been there at 1password.com, it was just hidden behind the Trash.
    I think it makes sense to separate the two functions and bring the Archive to the front. However, it is a bit confusing that the contents of the former Trash are now in the Archive and the contents of the former Archive are now in View Recently Deleted.
    @Ben How long will items remain in View Recently Deleted before being destroyed? Does the word "Recently" have some significance?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@missingbits:

How long will items remain in View Recently Deleted before being destroyed? Does the word "Recently" have some significance?

Deleted items can be restored within 365 days from deletion :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana That's perfect, thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome :+1:

This discussion has been closed.