Where does the Archive live?

DrPeril
DrPeril
Community Member

For lack of a better term, do archived items live at the account level, vault level, or?

For a long time, I've kept a vault called "Archive" for old data as a hacky way to filter, so I'm thrilled about the new archive feature... however, I'm wondering what happens if I select my Archive vault, select all its contents, and archive everything. Can I then safely delete the "Archive" vault or will that delete all of "Archive"'s archived contents as well?

Thanks, everyone!

1Password Version: 7.8.2 App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 11.1
Sync Type: 1P Family Plan

Comments

• Hi @DrPeril

Great question. I have the same setup myself. The archive 'lives' at the vault level. If you delete a vault, you'll delete any archived items associated with it as well. To do what you're looking to do, you'd likely want to:

1. Move the items from your archive vault to your Personal vault
    2. Archive the items
    3. Delete the old archive vault (which should be completely empty)

To help facilitate this there is an optional step 0.5 which is to tag all of the items with something obvious (like "Archive") so they are easy to find once you move them into your Personal vault.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• DrPeril
    DrPeril
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Thanks for the help @Ben, I appreciate it!

Is there a way to bulk-manage tags?

• No problem. :+1: If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• robflate
    robflate
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

The step to move items out of the Archive vault before deleting it really needs making clear, particularly on the delete vault screen. I have the same setup and just archived everything in my Archive vault and then deleted it. I've now lost all these items because this behaviour is not made clear.

Luckily my iPhone had not synced so I turned off data and I still have these items on my iPhone. How can I save them? I can't see a way to bulk tag items on iOS so if I move them to another vault I'll never know which is which. I also don't know if when turning data back on what the order of operation will be...will 1Password sync first and delete the items before they get chance to move vault?

I reallt need these items so advice appreciated. Thanks.

Edit 1: I just clicked View Recently Deleted Items in 1Password Mac and it sent me to 1Password in the browser to show my deleted Archive vault items. Do I have to click Restore on each item individually? I have 340 items.

Edit 2: I've started the painfully slow process of restoring each individual item from Recently Deleted. Looks like it will take me hours. Any alternative?

This discussion has been closed.