Transfer iPhone Keychain passwords to 1Password

sz200
sz200
Community Member

Perhaps I am missing something, but after looking extensively on forums, online docs, etc... I can't find an easy "How to" document that details how to simply take already existing Keychain passwords on your iPhone and transfer them to 1Password.

I have a pretty non technical user in my family who has everything in Keychain. I am trying to get them to move over to 1Password for better security and I need to do this and make it so that it is simple, but even I can't figure it out. Can anyone point me in the right direction with a writeup?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@sz200

There is no way to export iCloud Keychain passwords via iOS. Do you have a macOS Desktop system?

• sz200
    sz200
    Community Member

Wow, really? This just is a huge problem then for me. I've got someone with literally everything saved on an iPhone. So is the only way I could get them out by having a MacOS Desktop or perhaps a laptop?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2021

@sz200

If the only device(s) you have are iPhone's / iPad's, then you'll have to resort to copy/paste from the Settings > Passwords area on iOS / iPadOS.

With a macOS device, enabled with iCloud Keychain, you can extract those passwords from Safari via script. But that script runs under macOS.

• sz200
    sz200
    Community Member

Where can I find this script if I have a MacOS laptop? Assume I have to connect the iPhone to it and just run that?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2021

@sz200

Moving to 1Password from another password manager — 1Password Support Community

You'll need to enable iCloud Keychain on the Mac. To let it temporarily house the passwords. @MrC can assist if you encounter any issue. Just post back here and mention "@MrC" with no quotes.

This discussion has been closed.