When will 1password work with safari? When?!

Options
mg115
mg115
Community Member

When using safari the "1password box" appears, but nothing happens. Click "unlock 1password" and nothing happens. It's been like this for weeks.!

1Password Version: 7.8.3
Extension Version: 7.8.3
OS Version: MAC 11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• hutch3531
    hutch3531
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 and using Safari 14.1 When in the main 1Password window, if I click on open and fill nothing happens. If I click on the 1Password icon in the Safari browser nothing happens. If I click on the top toolbar 1Password icon, nothing happens. If I open a webpage login a little 1Password window appears over the login. It says unlock 1Password, if I click on it nothing happens. In 1Password preferences, under browsers it says Safari, Show inline menu in Safari. In Safari preferences/Extensions, 1Password 7.8.3 is shown and checked. Safari and 1Password are both in the Applications folder. I have restarted my Mac many times, I have unchecked the browser extension and rechecked it. I've basically tried everything that I have read here. This is happening to t wo iMacs in my home. 1Password still works flawlessly in my iPhone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• ag_tommy
    Options

@mg115

Have you given the Mac a restart? It will often clear up any issues that pop up from updating. I'm hoping you'll find it works for you too.

If you're at a spot where a restart is impractical, the following may be able to help you.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock
    4. Open your browser.
  • ag_tommy
    Options

@hutch3531

I've done some housekeeping and merged topics. Please see my post above.

• hutch3531
    hutch3531
    Community Member
    Options

Well I'll be damed, it works now! I restart my computer every couple of days and I've had the problem for weeks. It finally got to be such a pain, I decided to contact support, what I was finding in this forum was not helping. I'll check the other computer later today. Hopefully it's now working also. Thank you for the excellent help and quick reply. Cheers! Hutch

• ag_tommy
    Options

@hutch3531

Haha that's always how it works. :lol: I'm glad to hear things are looking up. You're most welcome.

• mg115
    mg115
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried all the steps outlined many times. Full power off of Mac. quitting helper from menu bar. quitting browser. removing extension and reinstalling extension. fully deleted 1password from Mac and reinstalled it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mg115:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Boosh
    Boosh
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

Is there a reason why this problem keeps occurring after a 1Password update? Every time 1Password gets updated on my Mojave system, the Safari 1Password extension breaks and requires these "workarounds" to get it working again. This is not a good user experience.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Boosh

Extensions for Safari work differently than with other browsers such as Chrome and Firefox. With Safari, the extension is included within the app. If both Safari and 1Password are not fully quit when updating 1Password that can cause a disconnect due to the underlying files changing while in use. Until / unless a different method for distributing Safari extensions becomes available, quitting both apps prior will remain the safest way to update 1Password. I apologize for the inconvenience associated with that.

Ben

• Boosh
    Boosh
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thanks for the explanation. I guess this issue is the result of Apple crippling the extension capabilities of Safari compared to other browsers and requiring all extensions to be sandboxed.

• Ben
    Options

It is definitely a bit unique that with Safari extensions are bundled with apps instead of being their own thing, and in some ways that does make this particular situation more difficult to navigate. That said, there are some cool things happening with Safari that we're looking into that may provide relief here. I wish I could be more definitive, but it is still early stages. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.