1Password Families. How do I individually set up 2 separate OS Users on Mac, Big Sur?

Options
nvsf
nvsf
Community Member

We have two family members sharing 1Password Families on a single Mac with two separate macOS User accounts. I've set up the Administrator account/profile on "User 1", I'm having trouble setting up 1Password for "User 2" on the Mac.
"User 2" has a separate vault and has successfully set up their Master Password and can access their vault on other devises using the 1Password App. The problem is that on the Mac they are tied to the "User 1" 1Password profile (Master Password and vaults), even when they log on to their separate macOS User account. Do I need to set up 2 separate instances of the 1Password App for each user on the Mac?
Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:multiple Mac OS users

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@nvsf

User 2 would need to open 1Password and login to their individual account using the Mac app. It sounds like you may have setup the same 1Password account under both macOS user accounts.

• nvsf
    nvsf
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, this is my problem. User 2 was able login to 1Password initially in their own macOS user account; but later, when User 1 logged in under the User 1 macOS (and 1Password) admin accounts, the User 2 macOS account subsequently defaulted to the User 1 1Password account - the User 2 Master Password stopped working, and only the User 1 Master Password worked. I found a similar issue in the Support Community but I wasn’t able to find the solution.

• nvsf
    nvsf
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to solve my problem. I'm not sure what went wrong the first time, but I started from scratch with User 2 (full recovery), and everything is working correctly across all devises. Thanks for you help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Tommy, you are welcome @nvsf! I am glad to hear that you got to the bottom of this.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.