Why Was Secret Key Not Required for Setup of New iPad?

Options
jens_cb
jens_cb
Community Member

I am using 1Password on macOS 11.3.1, iOS 14.5.1 and two iPads at 1Password 7.7.5 on iPadOS 14.5.1.
All share the same Apple-Id / iCloud account.

I recently got a new iPad. When I set the new iPad up, it did ask me on my old iPad to take a photo of a whirling cloud on the new iPad, which I did.
After that, the new iPad knew which Apple-Id I was going to use on it. But as the new iPad asked me if I wanted to transfer anything from the old iPad or restore the new iPad from an iCloud backup, I declined everything.
As I wanted a clean and fresh start, I set it up as a new iPad, with no things transferred or restored. So I have installed all Apps incl. 1Password manually from the AppStore.

However, when I was installing 1Password, it did not ask me for my secret key, only for the master key. Why not?

Two theories I have so far:

• My secret key is somewhere stored in the iCloud key chain, however I was unable to locate it there.
  • That "take a photo with my old iPad of my new iPad" apple magic did more than just transfer apple id.

Just want to understand how the security works ;-) Thanks a lot in advance!

1Password Version: 7.7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOs 14.5.1
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@jens_cb,

My secret key is somewhere stored in the iCloud key chain, however I was unable to locate it there.

This is how, if you search your keychain from your mac you should see an entry for com.agilebits.onepassword.b5Credentials

This discussion has been closed.