Firefox extension asks to update Firefox even though there is no update

Options

Hi! I've had a bit of a weird situation where I had to uninstall the 1password extension and reinstall it on one of my machines to get it to sign in and unlock properly. Unfortunately, thanks to the magic of Firefox Sync, this removed the extension from my other machines, and now when I try to reinstall the extension, I am constantly getting this message: "Firefox has an update available. Restart Firefox to install the update and reconnect with 1password."

I am using Firefox Developer Edition, which is basically the beta version of Firefox (89.0b15). The executable is ultimately firefox-bin.

Is there any way I can bypass this? I was actually getting a similar message before I had to reinstall the extension but at the time since I had already added my accounts I was still able to use it and ignore the warning message.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Linux 8.1.0-6.BETA
Extension Version: 1.24.1
OS Version: Linux (Ubuntu 20.04)
Sync Type: 1password.com (team and personal accounts)

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ibrahima! 👋

Thanks for reaching out about this. I just installed Firefox Dev Edition to see if I could reproduce the issue, but I haven't had any luck (granted, I'm running macOS rather than Linux). Just to confirm, did you already restart Firefox to complete the update?

I'd love to see a copy of your log to see if that gives us any hints as to what's going on. Would you mind grabbing that for me? You can find our guide here. If you feel comfortable, you can post your log in this forum thread. However, you're also welcome to send it via email to support+x@1password.com (please include a link to this forum post + your forum username in the body of the email). We'll take a look and go from there.

• ibrahima
    ibrahima
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn, I did restart Firefox, there are no updates currently available.

These are the logs that get logged when I open up 1password via the toolbar icon. I cleared logs before doing this because there was a lot of other stuff, but unfortunately now it seems like not enough content is being logged since this looks pretty vague. I'll try and send the full logs via email just in case there's anything sensitive in there. It kinda looked like there might have been an issue connecting to the desktop app.

Uncaught (in promise) undefined 4
    Loading failed for the with source “moz-extension://32063f7f-e373-4e34-b4e6-c56625423812/lib/react-router.js”. app.html:1:1
    Loading failed for the with source “moz-extension://32063f7f-e373-4e34-b4e6-c56625423812/lib/react-router-dom.js”. app.html:1:1
    Uncaught (in promise) undefined 3
    crypto tests: 445ms - timer ended app.js:2:1152921

• ibrahima
    ibrahima
    Community Member
    Options

Actually after a restart the full log doesn't seem sensitive - the "Could not establish connection" seems possibly relevant.

Uncaught (in promise) undefined 18
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 178 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 178 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) undefined 19
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 142 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) undefined 8
    undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 187 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 187 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) undefined 2
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 184 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) undefined 25
    Unchecked lastError value: Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. update.js:125
    init moz-extension://193d3c84-c5b8-4691-84ee-c74cd1857150/include/update.js:125
    Uncaught (in promise) undefined 5
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 193 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 204 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 34 undefined
    Uncaught (in promise) Error: Invalid tab ID: 34 undefined
    Loading failed for the with source “moz-extension://32063f7f-e373-4e34-b4e6-c56625423812/lib/react-router.js”. app.html:1:1
    Loading failed for the with source “moz-extension://32063f7f-e373-4e34-b4e6-c56625423812/lib/react-router-dom.js”. app.html:1:1
    crypto tests: 97ms - timer ended app.js:2:1152921

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ibrahima ,

Perhaps the suggestions here will be relevant for you as well: https://1password.community/discussion/120491

• ibrahima
    ibrahima
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron, thanks, that resolved the issue for me! I did try searching but didn't find that issue for some reason. I'm really liking the new synergy between the desktop app and the browser extension! (I know this was available on other platforms before but as a Linux user I never had this unfortunately.)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, @ibrahima .

Other platforms only had this feature with the 1Password Classic extension. Linux is actually the first one to have this feature available with the newer 1Password in the browser :)

I hope you'll have smooth sailing from here on out.

This discussion has been closed.