QR code scanning on the roadmap?

jc00ke
jc00ke
Community Member

Wanted to start off by saying this is one of the best Linux apps I've used. Fast, stable, updated very frequently. Kudos!

I'm considering ditching the browser extension fully and moving to the desktop wholesale. Probably the last thing I'm wanting is the ability to scan a QR code when setting up OTP. The browser plugin feature to scan QR codes might be my favorite feature. Ever. Looking forward to seeing it in the desktop app!

ps: I know I can copy the secret, and that could work for some time. :wink:

1Password Version: 8.1.0-6.BETA
Extension Version: 1.24.2
OS Version: Ubuntu 20.10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @jc00ke 👋

Thanks so much for your feedback! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying 1Password for Linux, and it's been so great to see how useful it has been to the community. Thanks so much for helping us build the best 1Password yet!

That said, 1Password in your browser and 1Password for Linux are really meant to be used together, as one harmonized unit (hence why the desktop app integrates into the browser extension) which as you mentioned, already allows you to scan those QR codes for setting up things like one-time passwords for all of your logins.

We don't have any plans to bring this functionality to 1Password for Linux at this time, but I'll certainly pass the request along to our development team!

• jc00ke
    jc00ke
    Community Member

Auto-populating the OTP with the browser extension is pretty great. OK, thanks, will keep things as is!

• Sounds good! 😊

Thanks again for taking the time to share here -- make sure to let us know if there's anything else you can think of!

• I'll also jump in for just a moment.

1Password on the Desktop may actually never be able to do the autofilling that 1Password in the browser does. To my knowledge at the moment, there are no APIs, whether on Xorg or Wayland, that we could use.

But I'll be watching out for ideas, because Steam keeps asking me for my password, and that annoys me.

This discussion has been closed.