Software License icons

Options
camner
camner
Community Member

I added a new software license, and 1P kept the default icon. Reading a variety of posts, I tried several ways to create a entry that added the icon, including dragging the app to 1P in the dock, which was the most often recommended method. No dice.

In one post a 1P staff member suggested toggling off and back on rich icons. I did that, and then I lost about 90% of my rich icons

It used to be possible to copy and paste an app icon from the Get Info of the app, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. I can copy the icon from the Get Info window to the clipboard, but after clicking on the generic icon in 1P, it is obviously selected, but Paste is greyed out.

Any thoughts about how to get back these icons I've lost?

1Password Version: 7.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.3.1
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

I thought perhaps that what was going on was that after I toggled the setting for Rich Icons, it was taking 1P a long time to reload the rich icons from the database, but 1P has been open for a couple of hours since I toggled that setting, and I'd say only about 10% of the icons have changed from generic to some recognizable as belonging to an app. And some of what is going on makes no sense. I have (accidentally), two software license entries for the same app (DateLore), and one has a generic icon and the other has a rich icon.

Should the updating of the icons take so long?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner!

Updating icons should be much faster than a few hours, so I think the icons are just not available for these items (I have tried adding a few from your screenshot and I also get the default icons for them).

I have (accidentally), two software license entries for the same app (DateLore), and one has a generic icon and the other has a rich icon.

Can you post a screenshot of this?

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner:

Thanks! Is it possible that the first entry actually has a custom icon? Meaning something that you manually added as icon there, instead of relying on the automatic icons? I tried getting that icon in a test DataLore software item, and I have not been able to get an icon for it by just filling the fields.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, it's possible (my memory isn't perfect on things like this...)

That leads me to another question. Is it possible that by toggling the rich icons checkbox that I deleted all of the custom icons as well as the ones pulled from the database?

To check this, I'm wondering if there is a way to restore 1P to the state before I toggled the rich icon checkbox (I have a backup of my entire system from shortly before I toggled the checkbox). I'm thinking maybe something in Application Support?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner:

That leads me to another question. Is it possible that by toggling the rich icons checkbox that I deleted all of the custom icons as well as the ones pulled from the database?

I don't believe so: I have tested it now, and things worked for me in 1Password for Mac. With regards to the backup, let me check with the team and see if they have suggestions about this. I will post back when I hear an update :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner:

I have heard back with an update: can you check if one of the two items (the one without an icon) perhaps has a leading or trailing space? With the same name, both items should really fetch the same icon, so we wonder if this could be the reason.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Nope...no dice. No spaces. Sorry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner:

I have asked the team for suggestions, and I was asked to check if toggling the rich icons setting once again had any benefit. Can you give that another try?

This discussion has been closed.