New update 7.8.4 / lock state sharing between desktop app and browser

iFalc
iFalc
Community Member
edited May 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,
Does the new improvement with 7.8.4 to share the lock state between desktop app and browser work with Chrome for MacOS or only with Safari ? According to my test, only Safari works.

Extract of improvement in 7.8.4 : "1Password for Mac and 1Password in the browser will now share lock state. Unlock (or lock) in one, and the other happily does the same!"

1Password Version: 7.8.4
Extension Version: 1.24.3 (Chrome)
OS Version: 11.2.3
Sync Type: 1password cloud

Comments

• @iFalc,

You'll want to update your chrome extension from 1.24.3 to 2.0.0; afaik they didn't push the button on making it directly available as an update yet, but if you install it from the chrome store directly it'll be 2.0.0.

• iFalc
    iFalc
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

@rudy
    Indeed the extension update was not possible from chrome extension management, but after delete and install the version 2.0.0, the lock state sharing works perfectly !
    Many thanks for your prompt and precious help !
    As regular chrome user, this new improvement is wondeful 🙂

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member

Any news for the release of the updated extension for Firefox ? It took me a while to realize it was still in 1.24 and so without the changes regarding integration.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rudy, you are welcome @iFalc! And thank you for the kind words :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tetardbleu:

We are still waiting for Mozilla to complete the review process, hopefully it will happen soon ;)

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

I can't get the 2.0 Chrome extension on one of my Macs to see the lock state of the 1Password app. I tried deleting and reinstalling the extension and restarting the computer. Any other suggestions?

• @benmatttison

Is your installation of 1Password up to date?

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Yes, it is 7.8.4.

• gedankenexperimenter
    gedankenexperimenter
    Community Member

It's frustrating that the keyboard shortcut to fill username and password doesn't seem to work with 7.8.4 & version 2.0.0 of the Chrome extension.

• @gedankenexperimenter,

You're attempting the "Fill Login or Show 1Password" or the "Show 1Password" keyboard shortcut?

• leetol
    leetol
    Community Member

I'm also unable to get the Chrome extension to share the lock state with the Desktop app. Safari works fine though. I did uninstall and reinstall the Chrome extension from the store. Any suggestions?

• @leetol,

• verify that you're running 1Password for Mac 7.8.4
    • confirm that ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/com.1password.1password7.json exists
    • confirm that 1Password in the Browser's settings page has "Integrate with 1Password app` turned on
  • leetol
    leetol
    Community Member

Thank you Rudy. I toggled the last setting on and off after quitting the browser and it worked!

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@rudy I can confirm that all three factors are correct in my case. I've also tried reinstalling 1Password for Mac and restarting my computer (twice). And toggling the "Integrate" setting on and off, combined with restarting the browser in various orders.

I don't know if this is a clue or if it's just what you'd expect, but if I click on the 1Password icon in the menu bar while in Chrome, I get this familiar favorite.

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

@tetardbleu:

We are still waiting for Mozilla to complete the review process, hopefully it will happen soon ;)

Thanks, @ag_ana

I have 2 subsidiary question :

1. Will version 2 of the extension also work in private mode ? The actual version doesn't react when clicked on it.

2. if the answer to question 1 is yes, will the extension automatically share the 1password app state, even if Firefox is in private mode, or will this mode prevent that and force a new connection every time the browser is open in private mode ?

Thanks

• joshua01
    joshua01
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

TouchID is working with Firefox. It is not working with Brave.

Yes, updated to 2.0.0 browser extension from Chrome web store, 1Password for Mac is 7.8.4 (downloaded from 1P.com), toggle is set for integration with desktop app (toggle off and then on), completely quit and restarted Brave and 1P.

Like I said, works really well with Firefox, not at all with Brave. I'm not an engineer, but seems like a Chromium issue ...

EDIT: First, sorry for accidental double post. Second, it's now working. I went into extension settings, toggled "Integrate w/ 1P" off, then closed the extensions tab. I then re-opened the extension settings, toggled "Integrate w/ 1P" on, then restarted browser. That got it working with Brave.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@ag_tommy @rudy Chrome extension is still not unlocking, on three different computers, all running MacOS 10.14.6. Oddly, one of them initially worked this morning but has now stopped. I was previously running the betas of 1Password for Mac and the Chrome extension and everything was working fine.

• joshua01
    joshua01
    Community Member

UPDATE: Connection is broken between Chrome/Brave and desktop 1P every time computer sleeps or restarts. Have to go into browser extension settings and re-jiggle the toggle for "Integrates with 1P desktop". Every. Single. Time.

Only happens with Brave. Firefox works great, never a hiccup.

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member

I have 2 subsidiary question :

Will version 2 of the extension also work in private mode ? The actual version doesn't react when clicked on it.
    if the answer to question 1 is yes, will the extension automatically share the 1password app state, even if Firefox is in private mode, or will this mode prevent that and force a new connection every time the browser is open in private mode ?

After testing, the answer is no... :(

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member

Where do I find the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting? I don't see it anywhere in Chrome's setting page or in the extensions settings. Please say exactly where.

I have 1Password extension 2.0.1 and 1Password 7.8.4.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@clarino:

The option is available in the 1Password browser extension settings. Here is a screenshot for you:

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

The integration is still not working for me. Everything is up to date and the "Integrate" toggle is on. It worked perfectly with the betas. For now I'm switching back to the classic extension for my work computer.

Can someone help troubleshoot? Or should I start a separate thread?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@benmattison:

If something is not working for you, we can take a look at the logs for you. Please see this post from my colleague Yaron for the instructions :+1:

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks! I just added the new extension back so I could get the log...and it immediately worked! It looks like the extension is now at version 2.0.1, and I think that fixed it—or maybe it's just the principle that the bug always fixes itself just at the moment when you ask for help with it. Either way, I am good.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

@clarino It's the in settings specifically for the 1Password extension. In Chrome, right-click on the 1Password icon and click settings. Or you can click on the puzzle piece in the extensions area, click on the three dots next to 1Password, and click settings.

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member

@ag_ana Can you be more specific? How do I get to that screen? When I go to Chrome's extensions and click on 1Password Details (which is where I assume the extension settings are), I get this:

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

@clarino Yeah, the extension settings are separate from the details page you found. See my note above.

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member

Ah, explanation from @benmattison helped. (Rhetorical question: Why are there two setting screens?)

But I still don't see the 1Password icon next to the puzzle piece. It used to be there before the upgrade. How do I get it back?

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@clarino That stumped me for a while too! Click on the puzzle piece and then click on the pushpin next to 1Password to make it visible.

This discussion has been closed.